Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
Great Post. One question, You were advised your units were SIM free handsets and not fully supported. Do you mean purchased as unlocked SIM free?

Yes, I purchased the unlocked SIM free iPhone XS Max 512GB on Apple.com. Verizon said the SIM free (A1921) iPhone XS Max is not supported on their network, and that is the reason it is losing the APN. They said it may (100% confident, but didn't want to commit) in the future. I don't buy. I think it's Verizon trying to get out of continuing support. My guess is a carrier update would fix this because I got a call back from a network engineer yesterday confirming the device is not supported. He said if this was Android he would instruct me to change my APN settings to fix the problem.

One bit of clarification, I am using a physical nanoSIM from Verizon. SIM free is just the description Apple uses for unlocked iPhones. I am NOT using the eSIM.

Last edited:

stan646

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2018
Pennsylvania
Yes, I purchased the unlocked SIM free iPhone XS Max 512GB on Apple.com. Verizon said the SIM free (A1921) iPhone XS Max is not supported on their network, and that is the reason it is losing the APN. They said it may (100% confident, but didn't want to commit) in the future. I don't buy. I think it's Verizon trying to get out of continuing support. My guess is a carrier update would fix this because I got a call back from a network engineer yesterday confirming the device is not supported. He said if this was Android he would instruct me to change my APN settings to fix the problem.

One bit of clarification, I am using a physical nanoSIM from Verizon. SIM free is just the description Apple uses for unlocked iPhones. I am NOT using the eSIM.
Wow! Great time to let us in on this tidbit!(Verizon not you!) Just ordered one with Verizon Sim, update with carrier later. Was going to install sim from my iPhone 7+. Will see how that goes.

Reactions: Artakamoose

jim29411

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
Wow! Great time to let us in on this tidbit!(Verizon not you!) Just ordered one with Verizon Sim, update with carrier later. Was going to install sim from my iPhone 7+. Will see how that goes.

Are you not afraid of getting a phone with reception problems and all of the hassles that go with it in attempt to get the problem resolved?

I am still holding-off on getting an XS-Max until it gets a clean bill of health on this forum.

stan646

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2018
Pennsylvania
Are you not afraid of getting a phone with reception problems and all of the hassles that go with it in attempt to get the problem resolved?

I am still holding-off on getting an XS-Max until it gets a clean bill of health on this forum.
I have been all over the map with connectivity issue wait get the XR etc.. The post from scifigirl pretty much describes what a lot of us are going through. I figure I am going to try it for the return period (or before!). If I don't like what's happening it goes back! I'm keeping the 7+ and can go back to it by swapping sim card back it. That's the plan at this juncture.
Having said the above, not recommending this to anyone else. Going in with eyes open! If this doesn't work out, then I give XR a look or wait till next year.

Last edited:

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018

The carriers determine whether or not you have access to the APN settings in your iPhone https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201699

Which means they could unlock access to it if they wanted to. Sounds like they don’t know what they’re talking about tbh

Kimmie92592

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2013
California
Update from me. As noted earlier, being rural I know precisely where my towers are for miles around and can thus test in some ways others can’t.

Also a reminder, I had the WiFi problems fixed with the update. My data was horrid at release. XS Max. It wouldn’t get signal or data at places my others would and so on.

Latest updates but NO betas.

The problem is gone for me personally. I have driven thousands of miles and saw service slowly getting better. I believe with the OS updates along with the carrier doing upgrades and updates, that the problem is almost completely gone. I was then, and even more so now, sure that this is primarily a configuration and software problem. It isn’t an intel issue or even down to the slightly worse FCC filings people keep worrying about.

Testing it side by side with older Apple devices and a Samsung device it is consistently just as good now in most areas. I am often at the very fringe of service areas and see that it might drop useable signal a few hundred feet before the Samsung does (for data.j Up until that point it gets as good or better speeds. I have personally had zero issues with voice at any point.

The one tower that was unusable at launch was still problematic for most of this time. This tower was one I’d hit and find that the phone had signal and no data, sometimes dropped to 3G or even 1x, and so on. It got better over time but was still pretty bad. Then all of a sudden it was fine. I checked another site and saw that tower had major upgrades and maintenance a few days before I noticed the improvement.

Where can I still find fault? I feel that it’s very slow to go from a weak, high capacity band, down to a lower band that might be more congested. It tends to try to hold onto signals too long before swapping. iPhones have always been designed this way in my experience and it’s one area I wish they’d change their priorities. If it drops to a lower tech, say 3G, it can be slow to go back to LTE. Again that band holding thing Apple seems to push.

I’m hoping the next os update will knock out the rest of the niggles I’ve had and improves it dramatically for those of you still having trouble. For me, this is now the best phone I’ve ever had. I love the speed, the screen, and so on and went ahead and bought a blue light filtering screen protector and a nice leather case once I decided I’d keep it.
What carrier are you on?

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
I got very lucky as my new XS Max seems to be working just fine. It’s a little bit faster than my 8 + in connectivity; not slower at all. I’m on AT&T.

jabbok

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
I'm so tempted to go with this. But like the other poster in this thread, my remaining qualms at that point are shelling out for screen protector, good case, and then the hassles of returning those, if possible (doubtful, think I'd just have to eat that cost). Is this the most frustrating generation of Iphones ever, or what? The XS series are so attractive to me for many reasons, but equally as many reasons to hold back. I have a feeling I'll cave within the next week. Saw the devices in person several times now, and those screens are just so beautiful.
[doublepost=1542247674][/doublepost]

Posts like this make me wonder if it's all software related, as the phones have so many different components. But frustrating and off-putting to not know for sure.
[doublepost=1542247831][/doublepost]
I'm half tempted to just go and buy an 8+ because it still has 3D touch, and a good resolution. But the XS screen is just *so* beautiful and superior when you see them side by side.

I just want to pull the trigger and do it, but there's all the other costs to consider, as well. So irritating to have no idea of the root of these issues, and if they'll truly be resolved by Apple in the near future.
[doublepost=1542248028][/doublepost]
Let me ask you this, have you had any regrets at all about your XR? Does it feel that much of a downgrade after using the Max, or does it seem a good value and wise choice, with the improved reception and money you've saved? I've yet to see it in person, so I can't make an informed call on it that much. I'm just one of those that has reluctance with giving up 3D touch, but it's possible it wouldn't matter all that much to me, in the end.

I don't have any regrets with the XR the battery life is amazing I use it heavily all day long and it still is usually 20-30 percent at the end of the day. In Canada I saved about 450.00 between the 2 so I consider that a win and I didn't need the 256 gb I was more than happy to go with the 128 gb. I don't have any issues with the screen I really like it and the 6.1 inch is a nice size. The face id is really quick no issues at all except like I said in my post is the phone going from LTE to 3G when I make a phone call but never any dropped calls.

I don't see it as a downgrade, I really like the XS Max the screen is beautiful but for me with the connectivity issues and the price I am happy with the XR plus I sold my 8+ for $800.00 so the new phone was really resonable for me.

chripuck

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2012
apple launch iOS 12.1.1 beta 3 :) good luck
Holy. Crap.

It worked. Beta 3 finally fixed my upstream issues on my XS. Up until now my XS side by side with my 7 would exceed it in downstream tests but would be 10% of it upstream tests. Now their upstream is equal with the downstream still being much better.

At this point I had almost given up, but I think it's actually fixed.
[doublepost=1542373146][/doublepost]
I don't have any regrets with the XR the battery life is amazing I use it heavily all day long and it still is usually 20-30 percent at the end of the day. In Canada I saved about 450.00 between the 2 so I consider that a win and I didn't need the 256 gb I was more than happy to go with the 128 gb. I don't have any issues with the screen I really like it and the 6.1 inch is a nice size. The face id is really quick no issues at all except like I said in my post is the phone going from LTE to 3G when I make a phone call but never any dropped calls.

I don't see it as a downgrade, I really like the XS Max the screen is beautiful but for me with the connectivity issues and the price I am happy with the XR plus I sold my 8+ for $800.00 so the new phone was really resonable for me.
I mean, it IS a downgrade, otherwise they wouldn't charge more for the XS. But the upgrades the XS/XSM provide clearly aren't worth it to you. **Secretly envies the cool colors of the phone ;)** Glad you're happy!

Reactions: vinegarshots

jabbok

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
Holy. Crap.

It worked. Beta 3 finally fixed my upstream issues on my XS. Up until now my XS side by side with my 7 would exceed it in downstream tests but would be 10% of it upstream tests. Now their upstream is equal with the downstream still being much better.

At this point I had almost given up, but I think it's actually fixed.
[doublepost=1542373146][/doublepost]
I mean, it IS a downgrade, otherwise they wouldn't charge more for the XS. But the upgrades the XS/XSM provide clearly aren't worth it to you. **Secretly envies the cool colors of the phone ;)** Glad you're happy!

I guess it's a bit of a downgrade as you are only getting 3gb ram instead of 4 and you are getting the OLED screen instead of the LCD, I don't consider the size of the screen a downgrade as you are paying less for the smaller screen. I guess you need to decide for yourself if you want the OLED screen over the LCD other than that I don't think there is any difference in the 2 phones. I would say the biggest plus for the XR is the battery life I do not have to charge it at all during the day and I use it all day long for emails, texts, phone calls, games, Pokémon Go :), social media etc.

I do agree the colors are really nice but I opted for the white :D I had the red but returned it for white.

pharmecist

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018
Wanted to add my findings here after upgrading from a 6S Plus to XS Max. I normally work in a building where I would get at most 1-2 bars of LTE reception with the 6S Plus and would have to rely on wifi in deadspots such as the stairwells. Both phones are on IOS 12.1.

It appears to be the same and I have not noticed any less LTE time vs 3G time on my XS Max. This is on the Rogers network in Canada.

Reactions: odin

maxchile

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2018
Santiago, Chile.
Hi all,

I have an apple watch series 4 (gps + cellular, version 5.1.1) and an iphone XS Max (64 gigabytes version 12.1).

And I have the following situation, just a couple of meters away from the iphone I see on the clock the icon of the iphone in red ( lost the connection), it is very strange, before I had a series 3 with iphone X and I did not face this problem, I moved many meters away in the office and in the house and the signal was not lost.
Otherthing, the pop up image to config ( new) my apple watch or my airpods only appears when i touch with the phone.
I contacted Apple support (chat) and did test on iphone and clock and also unpair and pair the clock with the iphone several times, I also reset the network connection on the Iphone, but the same problem continues.

Has someone else happened to you? some workaround?

Thank you!
Beta 3 dont resolved my issue :(

FizzaFarian

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2018
I spent some time yesterday running speed tests on my XS Max (T-Mobile) and comparing against my friend's LG G5 Android after swapping my SIM.

In general:
  • Variances seemed to differ quite greatly based on the app used, even if using the same server. For example, browser testing using the speed test that comes up in google search had the Android consistently outperforming the Max.
  • Speedcheck tests using the app, XS Max consistently beat Android
  • Speedtest.net app seemed most balanced between OS's, with download speeds being similar and the XS Max consistently outperforming in upload

My bars fluctuate between 2 and 3 at the office, on LTE Band 4.

Attached some results.

Attachments

• Speed Tests.PNG
    Speed Tests.PNG
    50.7 KB · Views: 222

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
I stopped following this for a while because I thought “my download speed isn’t as good as before, but I’ve not had issues with no connection”... and then it just happened.

Phone shows 2 bars, but I have no service. Toggling airplane mode seemed to fix it.

I have an XS Max from preorder batch... this is the first time I have seen this issue.

solodogg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando
I stopped following this for a while because I thought “my download speed isn’t as good as before, but I’ve not had issues with no connection”... and then it just happened.

Phone shows 2 bars, but I have no service. Toggling airplane mode seemed to fix it.

I have an XS Max from preorder batch... this is the first time I have seen this issue.

that's an iOS 12 issue, I had that same issue a handful of times on my X prior to swapping to the Xs

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Wanted to add my findings here after upgrading from a 6S Plus to XS Max. I normally work in a building where I would get at most 1-2 bars of LTE reception with the 6S Plus and would have to rely on wifi in deadspots such as the stairwells. Both phones are on IOS 12.1.

It appears to be the same and I have not noticed any less LTE time vs 3G time on my XS Max. This is on the Rogers network in Canada.

My XS has slower data speeds inside some buildings where my 8+ didn’t. Otherwise, my XS is great.

I think at this point, the fact these phones are or aren't having problems isn't the issue. The Issues have all been established. Now it's just finding out if Beta 3 is resolving phones with issues.

Beta 3 dont resolved my issue :(

I think you'd be better off putting this in the Apple Watch section to get a better response. I feel for you though and agree with Vinegarshots - sounds like you got a faulty phone or watch. Do you have AppleCare? If you do, surely Apple in Chile will honor that fix or replace the phone. ahhh... they don't sell the phone in Chile yet???

I'm hoping that Beta 3 can resolve the issues for people on this thread and that will give us waiting the green light to grab a max. I'm coming around to the XR for the camera portrait mode though. It's stonkingly good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.