Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDM908

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2019
My wife has an XS Max - beautiful phone - she has never complained about connectivity.

Coming from an 8+ though, I might be more inclined to wait for the 11 or 12.
The only thing is that once the new phone comes (iPhone 11) out won’t there be issues all over again and take several updates to fix them? Just like the xs max

The Oak

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2013
The only thing is that once the new phone comes (iPhone 11) out won’t there be issues all over again and take several updates to fix them? Just like the xs max

This is Apple's first shot at a 4x4 MIMO CAT 16 based phone.

4x4 is here to stay. One can hope it only will get better, which it has with the current set.

jim29411

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016

Hopefully the issues will be resolved by that time and if there is an Intel chipset problem, it will be fixed. There were no issues with the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8. The XS and XS Max are just bad apples and most likely are a result of Apple attempting to integrate the Intel chipset. Hopefully, Apple will realize that they should have not dropped Qualcomm and go back to the Qualcomm chipset for the next incarnation of the iPhone.

Reactions: decypher44

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Just updated to an XS from an X. So far, Wi-Fi and LTE are just as good as on the X. No issues so far.

Smoovejayy

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
I went from X to XS Max a few weeks ago. No complaints with reception, but other little issues did arise...

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
I went from X to XS Max a few weeks ago. No complaints with reception, but other little issues did arise...
I had a couple too. For some reason when I activated the new phone with new SIM, it hosed up my voice mail. AT&T got it fixed, but it was a pain. Also, iCloud backup is messed up as the backup is getting abnormally big. I cannot delete it as it says to try again later. But,, the phone is great:)
[doublepost=1550963463][/doublepost]Finally got backup deleted

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Well, I spoke too soon. I was out last night at a restaurant with my wife and the phone dropped to 4g. Had to put it in airplane mode to get LTE back. Today I was out on the patio where I usually have good wifi. XS was going in and out on the 5ghz connection. My X has no problem keeping the connection. So, back to the Apple store the XS went. I'm keeping my X.

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
I have an iPhone XS Max and this thing is a beast when it comes to downlink speeds. Uplink? Usually same as Intel iPhone X and 7 Plus except in crowded areas sometimes it is a bit slower.

Coverage is the same for me on the Intel XS Max, Intel X, Intel 7 Plus and Qualcomm 6 Plus.

ee2254d2fc0eb2017254810512621cab.jpg

Reactions: The Oak

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
I have an iPhone XS Max and this thing is a beast when it comes to downlink speeds. Uplink? Usually same as Intel iPhone X and 7 Plus except in crowded areas sometimes it is a bit slower.

Coverage is the same for me on the Intel XS Max, Intel X, Intel 7 Plus and Qualcomm 6 Plus.

Holy cow!! The fastest dL speed I’ve ever received was 101Mbps. Average about 20-40.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
It is very strange. I was somewhat skeptical of there being widespread problems, but I have to agree that there are definitely issues with the XS. My WiFi on 5ghz was terrible in locations where my X is rock solid. Setup as new, DFU restore, none of it helped.

jim29411

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016

You must be literally sitting right under the cell tower.

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
You must be literally sitting right under the cell tower.

Was in a mall. They must have had a plenty of micro cells there to handle the crowd.

I get 80 to 120 Mbps at home when on LTE depending on the time of the day.

Donga120

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
UK
Wifi and Cellular still awful for me on a XS Max on EE (UK). Wifi seems to be worse with drop out and not connecting again, trying to load instagram videos on Wifi takes ages and they stop half way through. trying to do a speedtest takes ages to connect to a server, it's very hit and miss, sometimes its ok other times dreadful. Have tries multiple network resets and phone reboots. Wish I stuck with my 8+.

Reactions: decypher44

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Wifi and Cellular still awful for me on a XS Max on EE (UK). Wifi seems to be worse with drop out and not connecting again, trying to load instagram videos on Wifi takes ages and they stop half way through. trying to do a speedtest takes ages to connect to a server, it's very hit and miss, sometimes its ok other times dreadful. Have tries multiple network resets and phone reboots. Wish I stuck with my 8+.

Well I have the XR, I get a consistent 65mbps down and 17mbps on my fibre broadband and I have Google WiFi with full coverage in my house. And yet every now and then the phone will randomly just drop it’s WiFi connection, this isn’t when moving around, but whilst in one room like a bedroom!
And mobile reception is alright ish, I’m on Tesco Mobile so O2, and the iPhone can struggle to get a signal more then I used to get on my old phones, but that may be down to O2, I get better signal on EE when tested.

jim29411

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
There has been no activity on this thread for over one week. Does this mean that all of the reception problems with the XS and XS Max have been resolved to the customers' satisfaction or have most folks just decided to live with the szhitty reception?

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
There has been no activity on this thread for over one week. Does this mean that all of the reception problems with the XS and XS Max have been resolved to the customers' satisfaction or have most folks just decided to live with the szhitty reception?

Some on the first, some still on the second. My WiFi is buggy and slow. I gave up on LTE a long time ago.

Reactions: fastbagger

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
It seems like the regular Xs on Verizon is quite good at this point with all the software/carrier updates since launch?

My wife says she has no problems with hers.

Reactions: The Oak

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Is a Max sold today identical to the original one, or have changes in hardware under the hood been introduced? Updated modem parts?

I tend to buy around March, and when an iOS ".3" as in 12.3 is rolled out. Over the years from my iPhone 6S Plus to today, seems to be when iOS is finally "nailed" any issues. Was similar to decade if OS X as well the final release and not before saw all the problems fixed.

Hoping to buy next month rather than wait for October.

kneezmo

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2017
Is a Max sold today identical to the original one, or have changes in hardware under the hood been introduced? Updated modem parts?

I tend to buy around March, and when an iOS ".3" as in 12.3 is rolled out. Over the years from my iPhone 6S Plus to today, seems to be when iOS is finally "nailed" any issues. Was similar to decade if OS X as well the final release and not before saw all the problems fixed.

Hoping to buy next month rather than wait for October.

I would not wait until October, the next iPhone will bring few changes. The interesting one seems to be that of 2020, with 5nm processor, screen that emits LG G8 style sound, notch elimination, 5G connection.

Reactions: cableguy84

balaplus

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2017
UK feedback based on a recent XS max purchase (Mar-19) for another family member
- No wifi/4G problems on O2 - better than 7 plus in areas of strong signal and equivalent in weak areas
- Stuttering reported elsewhere is real but you get used to it

jim29411

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
UK feedback based on a recent XS max purchase (Mar-19) for another family member
- No wifi/4G problems on O2 - better than 7 plus in areas of strong signal and equivalent in weak areas
- Stuttering reported elsewhere is real but you get used to it

What is shuttering? I have never heard that before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.