Is the new 10.5.5 eating memory

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vansouza, Sep 18, 2008.

1. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

I am seeing much larger numbers currently; even when the iMac just sits with mail and safari minimized. My memory used to be in the 750-980 range and now 1750 is the norm. Just wondering.. if anyone else may have noticed this or of course I could be nuts... thanks...

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It depends on how long Safari has been running and if it has accessed Flash. There seems to be a bug where it will just start eating memory and not returning until you quit Safari. Been like this for a while, since I can sit on my laptop and only use 750 when doing major tasks.

It is also possible that Apple is now using less virtual memory when physical memory is available to allow for higher speeds, then reallocating when a new app launches and needs memory.

TEG

3. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Not really for me. Memory management seemed to change in 10.5.4, Apple did use different compile flags for OS X in that version, more optimised and smaller.

4. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Actually, Mine has Improved I think. I have Mail, Photoshop, Coda, iTunes, iCal and Safari open and I'm only using about 2GB of My 4