Is the new 13" MBP enough?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StoneCold X, Nov 18, 2016.

1. StoneCold X macrumors member

Is the new 13" MBP with Touch Bar enough for an average to slightly above average user? I think I am going to take the plunge and get one, but the 8 GB of RAM scares me a little. I know you can upgrade to 16 GB but the stores don't have 16 GB in stock currently.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You have given no indication of what you use the computer for. Your utterly subjective average to slightly above means precisely nothing. You need to list apps, top end work flow (i.e. How much you have running at a time and what you do with it) and intensity you use the more intense apps at for anyone to have any idea how to answer this question.

3. StoneCold X thread starter macrumors member

Internet browsing, spreadsheets for work, Keynote presentations for work, streaming music, creating and editing small videos with iMovie are the main things

4. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

This computer will be more than you need if that's what you need it for. Don't let the complaints about 8 and 16 GB of RAM scare you. 8 GB is decent amount of RAM for a slightly above average user. It takes someone who has a really heavy workload to max out the 16 GB as well, so don't believe all of these MR doomsdayers acting like that's an anemic number.

You will be perfectly fine and you will absolutely love it!

5. JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

+1

Memory is only an issue for certain applications and even then only for heavy workloads.

Also some people do like/need to have 10-20 tabs open in their browser. In this case more RAM should help performance.

For general use, the base 13 (TB or non TB) are really great computers.

6. Kafou33 macrumors newbie

What about in 3-4 years. Is 8GB will be enough for 1-2 more years?

7. cmanbrazil macrumors regular

1-2 or 3-4 years of what? The big issue is always what type of programs do you use and what do they require of the computer. I'm upgrading because of hardware space, screen size, and weight. I really wanted the 13 because its smaller and cheaper, but my eyes and workflow unfortunately need an overpriced 15. I plan on keeping this computer until it falls apart, which for most apple computers is a long time.

8. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

1-2 years, easily. 3 yep. 4 probably, but every computer is different especially based on usage.

9. StoneCold X thread starter macrumors member

Are the graphics sufficient on the 13" version?

10. Fozzybadfeet macrumors 6502

Fozzybadfeet

I believe it would be enough. I had the same question regarding 8GB vs 16GB ram and many on this forum suggested to max to 16GB if I plan to keep this MBP for years. (which I do)

Enjoy!

11. JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

For what ? Depends entirely on your use case: gaming, coding, video/audio editing, writing, etc

12. StoneCold X thread starter macrumors member

Internet browsing, spreadsheets for work, Keynote presentations for work, streaming music, creating and editing small videos with iMovie are the main things with some gaming thrown in

13. Kafou33 macrumors newbie

Sorry If i'm not clear, Now 8GB seem enough but in 4 years will it be enough to last 2 more years. At the price asked I plan to keep this a lots of years as my old macbook late 2008 that is still running good after 7 years with a ram and ssd upgrade. The new one, you can't upgrade so you have to choose the right ram and ssd size.

14. JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

More than plenty of power.

I am currently using a 2013 MBA for similar use case as yours and it does an excellent job.

Only upgrading to get a retina screen (finally) and because my wife would benefit from using a lighter computer for her travel assignments (she currently rocks my old 2010 MacBook).

The additional performance (faster CPU/GPU/SSD/RAM) are bonus and future proofing for me.

15. JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

Difficult to answer. But I have upgraded previous macbooks (2010) with ram and ssd to perform OK with current workloads. The fact that any modern macbook is not upgradeable makes any decision harder. Better be safe than sorry ?

16. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

For most users, I agree the base 256GB/8GB RAM is sufficient. If you need more than 256GB, you already know based on your current computer. The 8/16GB RAM is where it gets a little trickier.

Based on your use-cases, if you plan on keeping the machine for 4 years or longer, I'd recommend getting the 16GB RAM. While you may only run into your RAM ceiling on the 8GB RAM a few times a year, over the long run you will be happier to spend the extra $200 now. It will also help the resale value, if that's important to you. As I sad, for most users 8GB is sufficient, but I think you meet the criteria where 16GB could benefit you down the line.

17. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

My 2013 does that work load without breaking sweat.