Is the new 17" MBP really a Rev. A product

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by derek1984, Feb 28, 2009.

1. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

I was wondering if you can really consider the new MBP 17" model to be a Rev. A product. With the 15" MBP rev. B most likely coming out in a few months, I was thinking what they might change with it: Most likely a speed bump. Maybe the new longer lasting battery. Maybe the anti-glare option. But all of those things are already included with the new 17 inch model. With the 17 inch model coming out 3 months after the 15 inch, is the new 17 inch really considered a Rev. A model right now? With the next revision of the 17 inch, what more could they add/change to it?

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Wow, Where to Start

1) There wont be a Rev B. Macbook Pro 15" in a 'few months' as you predict
    If it gets a speed bump, noone will buy the 17".
    If it gets the better 17" battery, noone will buy the 17", and they wont be able to justify the price difference between the 15" and 17".
    They wont make an anti-glare, please see the Macworld 2009 Keynote by Schiller.

The next 15" update will be Snow Leopard which will come with all Apple products, in August. It will make a massive difference to the way the 15" runs, which is why they wont bother changing any hardware. With Open CL, Hybrid SLI and Hybrid SLY for example (check google if you dont understand what they are)
    and this will also emphasize Apples new emphasis on being a Software company rather than a Hardware company, as is shown in their modification of their stores to emphasize Software more.

2) The 17" is Apples technology horse, it wont get any updates until the next release in 18 months, (Q3 2010) with Mobile Core i7.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Of course this is all just your speculation and really cannot be backed up.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, it's a rev A product.

You continue to post the link to the keynote, but there really isn't anything in there to suggest that the 15" wouldn't get an option for a matte screen in the future. He said pros complained and want a matte screen option, so they added one. That doesn't mean the 15" MBP won't get such an option at the next update.

Don't analyse Schiller's words too much. He practiced his talk heaps of times, I'm sure, but that's not to say he was thinking about every manner in which is words would be interpreted.

So yes....speculation. Perhaps you're right, and perhaps you're wrong.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

99% of it is Logic.

1% is speculation

The Snow Leopard stuff i'm 100% sure about.

come on Aplhaod you know there wont be a new MBP while Steve is ill, same as everyone else who follows Apple knows. Steve even puts his own iPod music on Apples business presentations, yes, thats how anal he is, so releasing a new product? The 17" was a push! more? No way.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But the 17" MBP is new. It was different enough from the 15" MBPs to warrant an actual keynote.

A speed bump isn't a new product, even if they announced a matte option for the 15" MBP.

I agree though that there probably won't be a speed bump until August, although it's not because Steve is sick. What are they going to upgrade the MBPs with? They also need to work within Intel's timeline, not just their own.

7. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Alphaod is right. It's all speculation. No one knows when Snow Leopard is coming out. And what exactly is Hybrid SLY? And regarding the 17 inch update, most will agree that 18 months is way too long to Apple to not have this system updated. My guess (which is nothing more than speculation) is that the next MBP 17" update will update the current processors (Core 2 Duo P9600 2.66GHz and T9800 2.93GHz) to the P9800 at 2.8GHz and T9900 at 3.06GHz) Those two processors are set for release in June by Intel which would be great for those (like me :)) who are hoping for a summer update to the 17" MacBook Pro.

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

[​IMG]

"Scheduled to ship in about a year"
    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/06/09snowleopard.html

[​IMG]

9. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

:confused: :( :(

I tried Google, and Hybrid SLY doesn't give any relevant results for the first 3 Google pages.

10. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Its hybrid SLI.....Fyi.

11. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Snow Leopard will have important technologies. But it won't make a "massive" difference in how the 15" runs.

12. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

There's a major difference between Hybrid SLI and Hybrid SLY.....Fyi.

13. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

OK,

what is it...you seem to be the only one who knows???

14. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

SLI is both graphics cards working together to give you amazing graphics performance

SLY is the power regulation for having both graphics cards working together without burning out your motherboard.

15. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Yup, this is a Rev. A product.

If it makes you feel any better, I have a Rev. A 1.6GHz MacBook Air, which has a current uptime of 165 days. Not all Rev. A's are bum.

16. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

Cool,

Coming from a gaming PC i was familiar with SLI, but not SLY

Thanks

17. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

WHAT!? LOL. There's no such thing as SLY at all. Post a link from the nVidia site or press release to back up your claims. I won't take your 'word' on this. You do spout some drivel sometimes... lol

There's only these technologies; SLI, Hybrid Power and Geforce Boost
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/hybridsli_notebook.html
    Do a bit of learning :p http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_learn.html

Regarding the MBP's... Well, it's Apple's decision. Whenever they decide to update the internal specs to increase sales when they start to slow. Apple is privvy to that information, and we're not, so it could be anytime. I agree it won't be for a while, and there won't be an update to the 15" that would canabalise sales of the true 'pro' 17" MBP. Though waiting till Q3 2010 is over a year without any speed updates - and that I can't see happening at all.

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Link? Even when I type in "Hybrid SLY power management" I get no results.

That's because it doesn't exist.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What is hybrid SLY? Precisely what are they hybridizing?

P.S. I can't find "SLY" on Google either, not about graphics card technology anyway.

20. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

lol - there is no such thing :rolleyes: Must be silly season... See my post above, though you probably know what I posted.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well yes, I did see all those replies before I posted, but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt in case he actually finds us a link on Google. ;)

22. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

It was my bad, i read an inaccurate article on Toms Hardware about graphics cards water cooling :) Sorry guys, it wasn't even in English so i got a bit confused :p They kept referring to the power systems a SLY so i just assumed...

Anyway it doesn't even matter, my point is still valid, the software update with the expected Hybrid SLI support in Snow Leopard will be a major step up for all Apple machines with dedicated graphics chipsets in terms of speed etc so they dont really need to focus on hardware updates at the moment.

Im trying to scour the SL beta release now to see if the SLI support and especially Open CL will be PPC backwards compatible, might annoy a few million people if it isn't. It's those machines that would benefit most from it really.

23. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

NP ;)

Though it's always good for Apple to keep pushing out updates. I like the Intel roadmap, and I think we're much better served than we were in the PPC days where updates and progress were few and far between. Sucks when you buy and they update - but better for us as a whole.

24. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

Krastenbrust, let me start by saying that I think you help a lot of people out on this forum (including myself) which is most definitely appreicated. But man do you have a lot of confidence in some of the stuff that comes out of your mouth (well, actually fingers). Read your post from a few days ago.

99% logic???

Anyway, just bustin your balls.

25. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Everyone thinks they know everything around here - didn't you know that already? j/k :p

What is clear, is Apple is going in a strange direction as a company in recent times - and that isn't always comfortable with those who have used Apple products for years and years, those who aren't just iPod or iPhone users.