is the new ACD compatible to the Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by petvas, Oct 14, 2008.

1. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

According to the official web page. it's not! The new ACD is being sold as an monitor for the new notebooks...

Of course I think with an adapter we will be able to connect it to the Mac Pro but it isn't officialy supported (so it seems at least!)

2. ljones macrumors regular

Damn, that sucks if thats the case. I was holding out for an LED ACD.

3. ascender macrumors 68000

I was wondering about this as I'm looking to add a second screen to my iMac. Is it just a case of getting the right adapter then?

4. AdiosVista macrumors 6502

I was more excited about the updated displays but I agree, I can't see anywhere on the site that says the 24" is compatible with a Mac Pro. You've got to be kidding!!!!!!! Someone please say that all we'll need is an adapter, that would be absurd if the monitor will not work on the desktops.

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No. At present, there is no such adapter. It can be done, but will require active circuitry (read: require a power source and will likely cost $100-ish).

6. waiyean macrumors newbie

I will be so disappointed if the new display is not compatible with Mac Pro.

7. AdiosVista macrumors 6502

The new display definitely is NOT compatible with the Mac Pro right now (which really SUCKS) but we can count on new ones in the future. Think about it: The MacBooks already have iSight and speakers so why would those features also be included in the new displays? My guess is the Mac Pro compatible displays will be rolled out in January when Apple unveils the new Mac Pros. HOPEFULLY they offer an option for the matte screen at that point.

8. Grade macrumors regular

Grade

I can say I have PC, but I was thinking in when my current monitor brokes in future I would replace it with apple cinema display.

I can say is was excited with the Isight in it, but it is major let down with the connections and the Glass.

9. ascender macrumors 68000

Thanks for confirming. A bit disappointing then.

I'll be buying a 23" ACD this week then.

10. polar-blair macrumors regular

I highly doubt it, it looks like the new line of notebooks having no matte option is a definite sign that apple are saying goodbye to matte and hello glossy screens, I think everyone is just going to have to get used to it or buy an old mac, or even buy a PC. I personally like the glossy display. Still confused on what apples plans are for the Mac Pro.

I can see the mac minis replacement being compatible with the the displays buy bringing in a new revision, as the Mnis are relatively cheap but to expect pro users to switch to a brand new mac pro just to use the LED screens seems really cruel. But im not in that boat so Im not fussed. It will be interesting to see what happens art MWSF.

11. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

12. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

We will see a graphics card with a displayport in the future...
    This is a transition that people are going to have to chill out about!

of course I could always be like, "b-b-b-b-bu-but the new screen is glossy, and pros that use a MP dont like glossy" :rolleyes:

Just calm down, and everything will be right in the end! :)