Is the new chip alone worth upgrading?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by otozuz, Sep 18, 2016.

1. otozuz macrumors member

I have a first-generation Apple Watch. The new watchOS 3 made me using the watch again after months, it makes much more sense now.

Anyway multiple times a day I find myself stuck because the OS struggles a bit - not only using apps but even just swiping through the watch faces or with other very simple things.

I'm considering upgrading to Series 2 just because of the performance boost, but I'm wondering if it makes all that difference.

I'm not that interested in waterproofing and GPS, so I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense to pay for a new watch just for the new CPU and GPU.

Should I just wait for Series 3? :)

2. profets macrumors 68040

If you really just want the speed increase you could go for the Series 1 (unless you prefer something other than the aluminum finish).

After using OS 3 on an original Apple Watch all summer, going to the new watch feels like a very significant speed increase.

3. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

that's a personal call. I just came back from the Apple Store with my Series 1 Al Sport with a white band. I am a owner of a Series 0 from the launch and with the short battery life (workouts burn battery and I normally workout 4 hours a day) I now can have one on while the other is charging.....

4. otozuz thread starter macrumors member

I still haven't understood if Series 1 has the same chip (CPU + GPU) of Series 2 or only the CPU.

5. profets macrumors 68040

I'm quite sure it does. What we 100% know is that the Series 1 has the S1P and the Series 2 has the S2. These are 'package on a chip' now as apple calls it. What we also know for certain is that the main differentiator between the S1P and S2 is GPS.

As for the CPU in both the S1P and S2, they both are referred to as dual core. From some inside tidbits it sounded like the CPU within them is the same (I feel like I read that about the GPU as well but can't remember exactly). The original watch was shown 2 years ago, desperately needed a speed increase and with the Series 2 getting some extra features (GPS, swim modes, brighter screen, larger battery) I think it's a good move that they improved the performance on both these Series 1 and 2. Can't see any reason they would have made new dual core CPUs for these that aren't the same.

6. otozuz thread starter macrumors member

It actually makes sense, thanks! :)

7. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

Series 1 is perfectly smooth in OS3

8. Whtchdr macrumors regular

I had the original Apple Watch and just got my Series 2. The S2 chip makes a huge difference. I haven't experienced the dropped frames or slow load times that were present with the OG model. My favorite part so far though is how much brighter the display is. Quite noticeable.

9. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I have a Series 0 SS watch. I couldn't ever downgrade to the Aluminum watch as it is less durable, regardless of it being Series 1 or Series 2.

The issue is by selling my Series 0 for $200-300, I'd have to pay $600 for a Series 2 SS watch, and I'm not comfortable throwing $300 out the door for what seems like a mediocre upgrade (to me at least).

10. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

I guess it depends on wether you use a lot of third party apps on the watch.

I'm finding my series 1 is much faster loading the 3rd party apps.

11. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Definitely agree this is the pivotal point in whether it's worth updating or not. I really don't use the apps directly on the watch. Mostly just Siri, fitness tracking and notifications.

12. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

Apple will
    for you no reason to upgrade, IMHO.

I run RadarScope and it is a demanding app and it runs very well! and I have 80 other third party apps that I like on the watch and Boy oh Boy they are running much better!

13. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

I had WatchOS3 on my series 0 and now I have a series 2. WatchOs3 made a huge difference on my old watch, and the series 2 is similar but just snappier and more responsive. Apps load faster, the heart rate function works much quicker, hey Siri works better. One a scale of 1-10 for performance, WatchOs3 took my watch from a 3 to a 6 and series 2 took it to an 8. Not an extreme improvement, but noticeable.