Is the New iPad already 'Siri-ready' inside?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by coolwater, Mar 12, 2012.

1. coolwater, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

The New iPad is coming out without Siri yet many believe it will come with iOS 6 later this year.

Can Siri be installed with just an iOS update anyway? If yes, does it mean the New iPad is already 'Siri-ready' without a software or firmware or whatever?

2. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

of course it could be, Siri is all just software, it could be implemented on any iPhone or iPad if apple wanted it to be.

3. ne0star macrumors regular

Yes its just software so in theory could be released later, but that doesn't tend to be how apple works.

Apparently the iPhone 4S has a better noise cancelling Mic which is why it never came to the iPhone 4 (but I still dont think they would have released it for the 4anyway), but i'm going to assume since it has the dictation element of siri the new iPad has this better mic and could run the full siri.

4. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Devices as far back as the iPhone 3GS can install Siri through jailbreaking. iPad 3 is more than capable of running Siri. I feel like Apple is working on iPad-specific Siri features before releasing it. I feel like not many people would use the existing Siri commands on the iPad as it is.

5. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

I'm calling Siri will expand to more iOS devices with iOS 6. /boldprediction(not really)

6. Doombringer macrumors regular

The iPad "3" microphone is suitable for dictation... so I'm betting it's the same mic on the 4S or better. It would have to be, for the best possible voice recognition, no?

I bet Siri could be added as a software update, too.

7. 5aga macrumors 6502

5aga

hopefully with API's to expand functionality to 3rd party apps

8. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Agreed. It'll be interesting to see how Apple handles that. Don't want to overcomplicate Siri either.

9. SuperRob macrumors regular

The short answer is "No."

The longer answer is, of course, more complicated.

Do you see the additional microphone hole in the top of the iPhone 4S? Specialized circuitry exists in the A5 processor that allows it to use that second microphone for advanced noise cancellation. This is what makes Siri so good at understanding your voice.

People who demoed the dictation on the iPad said that it was hit and miss in loud environments like the demo room, because it couldn't discern the speaker's voice from the background noise.

Additionally, Siri is just a lot more useful on a phone (which will always have a data connection) than on the iPad which may not (in the case of a WiFi only model). Plus, you're more likely to have your phone with you than not.

Personally, I don't see how Siri would be that useful on the iPad, but I understand why people want it. The iPhone seems like a much more natural fit. I'd rather they work on some way to wirelessly exchange data between an iPhone and iPad, similar to how HP demoed it with the Touchpad and the Pre.

10. Reddkryten macrumors 6502

I'm of the opposite opinion, I am sure Siri will eventually be on the iPad, maybe not with IOS6 or the iPad 4, but eventually.

I only have one piece of evidence, but I think it is a fairly strong one, this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mLqJNDWx-8&feature=youtube_gdata_player I first watched it a few years ago and thought it was pure science fiction and that the video should have been set in 2090 not 2015. However a few years later, virtually everything in that video has become a reality on the iPad, the only thing missing is Siri....and the bowtie.

11. WytRaven macrumors 6502

Ask her...

Attached Files:

12. SuperRob macrumors regular

13. doboy macrumors 68000

14. appleii2mac macrumors regular

Siri was available in the App store before the 4S came out. Then it was removed, and blocked for anyone who had already downloaded it. So yes, it can run on the hardware....the question is will Apple allow it.