Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Natya Sadella

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
I really like the new ipad pros, design-wise. Reminds me a lot of the iphone 5, which will be forever the best formfactor of an iphone.

I owned a couple of ipads before, the last one was a air 2. I liked all of them but I never understand why apple limits the ipad so much. Its just a big iphone.

So here comes my question. I use my iphone XS for almost everything, I need my computer only for things like downloading stuff and putting it on a external harddrive. If ios could give me a full finder app with copy/paste to harddrives and a safari download manager, I would never ever touch a computer again. Is the bigger screen (iphone xs vs. ipad pro 11) REALLY worth the 880€ it would cost me? In my head, its still a bigger iphone.

Please share your experience with the ipad pro as a computer replacement.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I really like the new ipad pros, design-wise. Reminds me a lot of the iphone 5, which will be forever the best formfactor of an iphone.

I owned a couple of ipads before, the last one was a air 2. I liked all of them but I never understand why apple limits the ipad so much. Its just a big iphone.

So here comes my question. I use my iphone XS for almost everything, I need my computer only for things like downloading stuff and putting it on a external harddrive. If ios could give me a full finder app with copy/paste to harddrives and a safari download manager, I would never ever touch a computer again. Is the bigger screen (iphone xs vs. ipad pro 11) REALLY worth the 880€ it would cost me? In my head, its still a bigger iphone.

Please share your experience with the ipad pro as a computer replacement.
Given your uses, you have concluded correctly... that the iPad Pro is simply a bigger iPhone. Getting files on and off any iPad onto physical storage is not straightforward. It is possible but requires a bit of jumping through hoops.

Natya Sadella

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
Given your uses, you have concluded correctly... that the iPad Pro is simply a bigger iPhone. Getting files on and off any iPad onto physical storage is not straightforward. It is possible but requires a bit of jumping through hoops.
My biggest use case is a download of a movie. I have to download a container file, open it in jdownloader and I end up with maybe 20 .rar files. I use winrar to extract them and copy the extracted .mkv file on my harddrive, and watch the movie on my ps4 pro. How hard is it to do that on an ipad? Downloading .rar files, extract them and copy them to my harddrive?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
My biggest use case is a download of a movie. I have to download a container file, open it in jdownloader and I end up with maybe 20 .rar files. I use winrar to extract them and copy the extracted .mkv file on my harddrive, and watch the movie on my ps4 pro. How hard is it to do that on an ipad? Downloading .rar files, extract them and copy them to my harddrive?
I don't know of any iOS apps that can handle mult-part .rar files. They may exist, but I haven't seen any.
If one does exist and can handle the files of the size I'm assuming, then the next step would be getting it to your harddrive.

What do you do with the .mkv after it has been extracted? copy it to an external hard drive?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
It’s probably not as easy as it is on a PC/Mac. On the other hand it runs the same iOS like your iPhone. If you find an app that can do these tasks, especially the downloading and unpacking, on your phone then the workflow would be similar.

You could try out Documents by Readdle as an alternative to the files app in iOS , but I’m not sure if it can perform all required tasks.

I use Documents occasionally to put files on my Mac at home on the same network via an SMB share point.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
It is for me. I saw the writing on the wall a while ago and have always wanted to move to iOS only. I bought a QNAP NAS and it has made a huge difference. I can download files/torrents directly to the server, manage all my personal files, run my Plex, run my Homebridge, and plug in a physical drive for transfers if ever needed. All managed from an app on my iPhone and iPad.

Reactions: KPOM and tagumcity

Natya Sadella

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
Lol I didnt consider I can test all of these steps on my iphone except copy/paste to harddrive (no lightning on harddrive, just micro usb)

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
I love mine, but it's an expensive device, approaching (or surpassing) laptop pricing, but not really a laptop replacement (for me). Probably the 2018 iPad is a much better price proposition, but I just like how the iPad Pro looks and can afford it, so it's a luxury item. I have a hard time saying it's "really worth the money" but I am keeping mine regardless.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I love mine, but it's an expensive device, approaching (or surpassing) laptop pricing, but not really a laptop replacement (for me). Probably the 2018 iPad is a much better price proposition, but I just like how the iPad Pro looks and can afford it, so it's a luxury item. I have a hard time saying it's "really worth the money" but I am keeping mine regardless.
How does this answer the OP's question? :confused:

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I carry my iPad Pro 12.9" 2017 model with me on trips instead of a laptop and it serves those purposes quite decently. I do feel the 2018 model is too expensive considering it doesn't do anything more and softwarewise its hardware is still underutilized. The new form factor is very nice though.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Well, I guess you didn't find the answer helpful but it included more information than several other posters, and I don't see you calling them out.

The OP requested:
"Please share your experience with the ipad pro as a computer replacement."

You boasted about how the Pro is a luxury item and how you can afford it, which is fine if that is what you want to say, but you didn't offer any explanation as for how the iPad Pro acted as a computer replacement for you... which you clearly stated it didn't.

There was only one other poster who made a similar comment that I saw, so I don't know about those "several other posters" you are referring to... unless they are on my ignore list in which case I didn't see them.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
The OP requested:
"Please share your experience with the ipad pro as a computer replacement."

You boasted about how the Pro is a luxury item and how you can afford it, which is fine if that is what you want to say, but you didn't offer any explanation as for how the iPad Pro acted as a computer replacement for you... which you clearly stated it didn't.

There was only one other poster who made a similar comment that I saw, so I don't know about those "several other posters" you are referring to... unless they are on my ignore list in which case I didn't see them.

"Yes" or "It's my favorite iPad so far" etc. I wasn't boasting, I was sharing my own experience and the money issue came up because the post is about whether the iPad Pro is "worth" the money. You have a point about the computer replacement and perhaps I should have read the OP's post more carefully, but I was saying that I don't believe it's worth the money because it's not quite a computer replacement for me for very specific reasons that probably don't apply to most (but can for others depending on their tasks--for me, it's because I can't replace my out-of-office work due to our locked down file system, though Citrix almost gets me there) but it is a beautiful luxury item. Again, I don't think anything I said was worth you picking on my post out of several also vague posts by other posters. I'm sorry I said "I can afford it so even if it's not worth the price, I enjoy having it because it's aesthetically pleasing" because apparently you find that triggering.

Reactions: baypharm

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I have replaced my iMac with an iPP. Heck, I used a 2018 iPad for the last 10 months and did just fine. I had every intention of going to the smaller pro when they were released, and had sold off my 12.9 last spring in anticipation of that. The 2018 served me well, and I probably didn’t even NEED to spend the money on a pro. Ultimately I decided that since it is my main device for work and play, I wanted the nicer overall product, and I was really excited about the new pencil since I’ve been moving so much of my paper stuff to digital.

This is actually the first time I’ve used it - I was waiting on the case and screen protector to arrive. I absolutely love the overall look of the device for sure. It really doesn’t seem bigger next to the 2018 iPad, but when I’m typing on it and looking at it, the screen seems much bigger.

The Face ID is fantastic. I scrolled up and it was immediately ready to go.

As far as replacing my computer, I realize I don’t do nearly the in-depth stuff many people here do. I’m mostly using the internet for bookings (I’m a Disney travel agent), and Pages or Works for typing up clients’ itineraries. With my digital calendars/journals, I’m using pretty basic apps like GoodNotes and Dropbox - stuff like that. I know my use is pretty simplified, and I love that I can do everything I need on this one device that I can also throw in my purse and haul with me wherever I go.

stephenschimpf

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2018
San Pedro, CA
I bought the 11" iPad Pro a week ago and love it, but would never think of it as a computer replacement. It complements my iPhone and iMac. iPhone to carry with me at all times, iPad Pro for reading or surfing or trying to be creative with Procreate, and iMac for when I want to sit at a desk and type, work on documents, etc.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I have replaced my iMac with an iPP. Heck, I used a 2018 iPad for the last 10 months and did just fine. I had every intention of going to the smaller pro when they were released, and had sold off my 12.9 last spring in anticipation of that. The 2018 served me well, and I probably didn’t even NEED to spend the money on a pro. Ultimately I decided that since it is my main device for work and play, I wanted the nicer overall product, and I was really excited about the new pencil since I’ve been moving so much of my paper stuff to digital.

This is actually the first time I’ve used it - I was waiting on the case and screen protector to arrive. I absolutely love the overall look of the device for sure. It really doesn’t seem bigger next to the 2018 iPad, but when I’m typing on it and looking at it, the screen seems much bigger.

The Face ID is fantastic. I scrolled up and it was immediately ready to go.

As far as replacing my computer, I realize I don’t do nearly the in-depth stuff many people here do. I’m mostly using the internet for bookings (I’m a Disney travel agent), and Pages or Works for typing up clients’ itineraries. With my digital calendars/journals, I’m using pretty basic apps like GoodNotes and Dropbox - stuff like that. I know my use is pretty simplified, and I love that I can do everything I need on this one device that I can also throw in my purse and haul with me wherever I go.
I’m pretty similar. I work online (teaching the LSAT) and use the iPP as a computer replacement, but I don't do anything very techy. I’m totally happy with using cloud services and don’t need a different file system or the ability to use external drives. Having everything super streamlined and portable is more important to me.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
Mines replaced a Mac mini and an iMac 27 which are now basically redundant.

Once you learn all the little tricks , this thing really does become very useful indeed.

My biggest helper was storing images and grabs in iCloud file system rather than in photos , the iCloud version keeps its quality.

The split screen function really comes into its own on the big screen.

Plus no more backing up hassle , it goes straight to iCloud !

Or archaic unix commands when it crashes ... then again I can’t recall the last time my iPad crashed...my Mac on the other hand ....

Caesars

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2013
For my use it doesn’t do anything my 2nd gen 12.9 didn’t do just as well. I was just ready for a new one.

spacebro

Suspended
Oct 1, 2015
In iOS they are trying to move past the concept of "files". For common things like documents, photos, videos, spreadsheets, etc this works great. If you're fussing around with torrents and .rar files I think you would have a bad time on iPad unless you can find the right software to do that. I got the new iPad to play pubg mobile, but instead I lost interest in the game and use the iPad to replace my MacBook Pro. The best thing about the iPad is that you no longer have to do your computer stuff on a table or at a desk, you do it on the couch, in the living room, in bed, or wherever, and it won't spin up a loud fan and burn your thighs just to stream tv show. The App Store is such a better experience than mucking around on the internet to download exe's from possibly the wrong website that added viruses and malware to the thing you want to install (I bet most people have done this by accident and never knew it). Its better than the Mac App Store where half of the **** doesn't work, isn't finished, or costs money for things that are free if you download them outside of the Mac store. It really takes a computer expert to operate a Mac or a PC, and I'm tired of coming home from work and still have to do computer expert stuff on my personal machine. I'm just tired of it all. The iPad let me finally relax and have all my personal computing stuff just work without any trouble. The 2018 is worth it if you want to play pubg or rely on Apple Pencil but otherwise the 2017 is just fine, even waiting for the 2019 iPad-not-pro would be just fine for 99% of the things.

Reactions: xxray and seajewel

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
An iPad (pro or otherwise) is basically a big iPhone with pencil support. It still runs iOS and therefore has the same limitations as an iPhone. You’re better off buying the cheapest MacBook Air for your use cases.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
An iPad (pro or otherwise) is basically a big iPhone with pencil support. It still runs iOS and therefore has the same limitations as an iPhone. You’re better off buying the cheapest MacBook Air for your use cases.

Except, you know, for those use cases where “a giant iphone with pencil support” is actually better than any Mac. As some of us in this thread of expressed, these use cases exist.

Reactions: xxray
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.