Is the new ipod touch worth it from the previous version?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mariotheotaku, Sep 15, 2008.

1. mariotheotaku macrumors regular

I been thinking of buying a 32gb ipod touch 2g but i seen the previous 32gb version at least $100.00 cheaper on ebay and I was wondering to all of the itouch 2g owners if it would be worth it? is the battery life a great improvement from the previous version? I know I could use the speaker but I want to know what everybody thinks about the new features.

thank you

2. jamaica14 macrumors member

its really up to you i didn't have a first gen so i just spent the three hundred on the 16GB second gen and i find it really nice and the speaker isn't that bad of a quality and its loud enough for what i need it for so i have no real complaints but once again its completely up to you

3. Styyl macrumors newbie

I currently own a 16GB first-gen iPod Touch. The updates that they announced didn't sound very remarkable to me, so you're probably not going to be missing out on enough to regret getting an older model rather than a newer one. Battery life is more than good enough on the original model (I've had it run on all night and wake up to find that it had discharged less than 50%, so that gives it approximately 20-24 hours of battery life). The only things that you're missing are the speaker (only good for running the PhoneSaber app on a touch?), volume controls on the side, that Nike app, and a few insignificant design changes (brighter chrome finish and slightly thinner). I personally wouldn't upgrade to the new model for $100 if I had the chance, so I recommend taking the cheaper alternative.

4. greg555 macrumors 6502a

My daughter sold her touch and nano to buy the new touch. For her it is worth it to have the speaker since she likes to use it for games.

One thing keeping me away from the touch is that you couldn't adjust the volume without looking at the screen. So the new volume buttons are the important new feature to me.

But only you can decide if the new features are worth the cost difference.

If you are thinking of buying the first gen touch take a look at the refurbished ones on the Apple store (like new with full warranty).

Regards - Greg

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I have the 1st gen 16gb touch and wouldn't trade it. I don't think the upgraded model has enough groundbreaking features to justify and "upgrade" if you can even call it that. I would just save the hundred dollars and get the first gen. The 1st gen feels more sturdy anyways.

6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I agree 100%. My buddy got the 2nd gen a few days ago and the updates aren't that great and I also found it less sturdy. I haven't had one problem with my 1st gen and I think it is dumb to sell a gen 1 (unless you get a good price for it) and get the 2nd gen.. Then again it isn't my money.

7. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

The speaker and the supposed battery life are nice for the 2nd Gen iPod touch but not enough to get me to sell my 1st Gen. She has served me well and will continue to do so.

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I have the 16 GB 1G Touch and am thinking of selling it and getting the new 32 GB. If everything works out as I planned I will ba able to upgrade to the new 32 GB at no additional cost, which surely sounds tempting just for the capacity upgrade.

But now I'm really not sure if its all worth the effort, because if I sell it now (and I need to sell it now to get a good price, before new models start selling in my country) I'd be iPod touchless for 3+ months, surviving only with my shuffle.

9. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

The first generation iPod touch is great if you can live without volume control buttons and a speaker. Personally, I don't find missing volume control buttons to be a huge deal. Remember, there's no click wheel here so it's not like you can change songs with it in your pocket. While being able to adjust the volume without having to use the screen is nice, I'm not sure it's worth an extra $100 (I'm assuming your price difference is comparing a new first gen and not a used one).

The speaker is nice to have but, again, I prefer keeping my music and movies to myself. Do any other iPods have speakers? No. Yes, it would be nice to share YouTube videos with friends and not have to whip out the earbuds, but if you can live without it, first gen is the way to go.

10. mariotheotaku thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys, one more question, is the nike+ app only compatible with the 2g itouch?

11. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    yes, it was stated in a previous post about the iPod touch, that the touch has a special transmitter in it, and will be able to work with the nike thing. The first gen touch and the iphone are left out of the "fun" feature that I'm sure not many people are going to care about. Well at least me anyways. ;)

12. muldul macrumors 6502

It depends on what you need it for, i have the 1st gen 16 GB touch (had since release day) and i am upgrading to the 32 GB touch 2nd gen soon, because all the upgrades are worth it to me.

13. mariotheotaku thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, my last question is related to Apple's Bill Me Later payments. Has anyone used them? and how do they work? I ask an apple sales rep and he say I can make minimal monthly payments but how do I do the payments themselves? does a statement arrives in the mail? or can I pay online? Since I plan to sell my 160 classic with accessories to help pay for the new touch, but if I buy the new touch it will be from the Apple store since they have the monthly payments methods. Unless there is another online store where I can make monthly payments