Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
This thread is a riot.

Just like the ones we started a year ago when the can got announced.

And every bit as useful.

I feel the presence of a teenager using Dad's new toy.

The Mac Pro has moved from Medium to serious to just medium. There is no denying it has dropped potential horsepower to fit into the new TB ecosystem. No serious workstation would give up PCIE for nifty HD connectors. A lovely machine, but people needing real oomph have moved on.

And I agree, it's great for skater kids and Coachella kids who all have GoPros and iPhone footage they want to put on Youtube. Yippity !!! And as long as they have Dad's new can to edit on, great.

Or they could use an iMac or a Mini or even an old G3 iMac for that matter. Anyone remember the iMac DV? I got one when they first came out . $1,800 and you could import via FireWire right from your cam. Yippity!

What is this thread about again?

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
There is no denying it has dropped potential horsepower to fit into the new TB ecosystem.

There is no denying it has dropped potential horsepower.

There is no denying that it fits into the new TB ecosystem.

There is no denying that there is no evidence that one was because of the other.

And I agree, it's great for skater kids and Coachella kids who all have GoPros and iPhone footage they want to put on Youtube. Yippity !!! And as long as they have Dad's new can to edit on, great.

I bet most kids these days do have computers of their own and not using their dads computer.

It started as a troll thread, then it got to other familiar spots.

reco2011

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2014
That's totally wrong. I owned 3 of oMP's, all of them pretty loud.
Perhaps there's something about your environment which causes them to be loud. I've owned a 1,1 and I currently own a 5,1 and both are quiet. My brother owns a 3,1 and a 4,1 and both are quiet.

reco2011

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2014
What is "pretty quiet"? How many dB's @ 1 meters? My 3.1 was 56 dB's.

The oMP was considered very quiet. It wasn't until the nMP came out that very quiet became noisy. Read any review on the oMP and you'll find comments about how quiet it is.

----------

That's okay, you'll get 'em next time. Someone will be wrong on the internet any moment now.

I was mistaken about this. Znu, unlike the person who actually made the claim, was able to provide support for the claim. Up until then I had never seen anything official from Apple stating it was designed to be used as a handle. Sure it could be used as a handle. But can be used is not the same as designed to be used.

With that said it doesn't really affect my argument. Given the nMP has a handle and having a handle means something was designed to be portable then the oMP was designed to be portable too. Right?

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
This thread is a riot.

Just like the ones we started a year ago when the can got announced.

And every bit as useful.

I feel the presence of a teenager using Dad's new toy.

The Mac Pro has moved from Medium to serious to just medium. There is no denying it has dropped potential horsepower to fit into the new TB ecosystem. No serious workstation would give up PCIE for nifty HD connectors. A lovely machine, but people needing real oomph have moved on.

Or they could use an iMac or a Mini or even an old G3 iMac for that matter. Anyone remember the iMac DV? I got one when they first came out . $1,800 and you could import via FireWire right from your cam. Yippity!

It's even better if you read MacProCard and MacVidCard as the same person with a split personality. "nMP is awesome, you guys just can't accept that!/nMP is a pathetic toy, and any pro using it is just an overgrown kid with too much money!"

rrl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
I was mistaken about this. Znu, unlike the person who actually made the claim, was able to provide support for the claim. Up until then I had never seen anything official from Apple stating it was designed to be used as a handle. Sure it could be used as a handle. But can be used is not the same as designed to be used.

With that said it doesn't really affect my argument. Given the nMP has a handle and having a handle means something was designed to be portable then the oMP was designed to be portable too. Right?

I think you're confusing "portable" with "movable." My 70 pound guitar amp has a handle, but my MacBook Air doesn't. Portable is about size and weight, handles are about ergonomics. A briefcase without a handle would be awkward.

reco2011

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2014
I think you're confusing "portable" with "movable." My 70 pound guitar amp has a handle, but my MacBook Air doesn't. Portable is about size and weight, handles are about ergonomics. A briefcase without a handle would be awkward.

One doesn't need handles to move something. Therefore having handles is a sign something was designed to be portable. That is, it we're applying the "logic" of one specific poster here.

MacProCard

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014

Give it up. I spent all day debating these immature individuals. Takes an adult to admit when they were wrong. Some people are all about being message board rockstars. Read a tech manual and they know everything.

And did you know multicam isn't relevant because it's been out since 2005? And Marketing can't try whatsoever to tell people that the nMP in combination with FCPX will generate an even better multicam 1080p experience. --At least not for these 4k pros on here, who btw, don't seem to own any 4k equipment. lol

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
One doesn't need handles to move something. Therefore having handles is a sign something was designed to be portable. That is, it we're applying the "logic" of one specific poster here.

This 40-core, 2000watt, 220volt, 35kg IBM server has handles, it must be a portable too?

138871-ibm-systems-x3850-x5-9450.jpg

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Perhaps there's something about your environment which causes them to be loud. I've owned a 1,1 and I currently own a 5,1 and both are quiet. My brother owns a 3,1 and a 4,1 and both are quiet.

We must have different definitions of quiet then. To me quiet means quiet. I could always hear my oMP's running and when I gamed, they were pretty loud. Maybe not as much as my 2009 MBP, but quite close.

MacProCard

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
So the answer to my question is: Nothing makes you more qualified than goMac to speak on this topic.

----------

That doesn't make it a handle. Therefore it wasn't designed to be portable.

From Google.
port·a·ble -able to be easily carried or moved, especially because of being a lighter and smaller version than usual.

A handle is a convenience. Nothing more.

You're wrong so why don't you admit it? You might find people respect you more for it.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
Give it up. I spent all day debating these immature individuals. Takes an adult to admit when they were wrong. Some people are all about being message board rockstars. Read a tech manual and they know everything.

And did you know multicam isn't relevant because it's been out since 2005? And Marketing can't try whatsoever to tell people that the nMP in combination with FCPX will generate an even better multicam 1080p experience. --At least not for these 4k pros on here, who btw, don't seem to own any 4k equipment. lol

Since you like to refer to Apple marketing so much: (Apple Mac Pro page)

Mentions of multicam - 1

Mentions of size - 3

Mentions of 4K capabilities - 15+ (stopped counting)

Yes, the Mac Pro is clearly designed for multicam and portability. Your business prowess has really shone once again.

Please, maybe some of us could start to take you seriously when you back down from your hyper defensive stance, respond to actual facts, and stop denigrating others' professions seeing as how a wedding videographer would still offer more actual knowledge on the subject matter than you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.