Is the new macbook likely to have a backlit keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shoppy, Oct 9, 2008.

1. shoppy macrumors 6502a

The reason I ask, is simply this. I have always brought pro, purely for the metal casing and backlit keyboard. I am just wondering if they are trying to save money and use the same parts then may be it is possible. If it does happen that I will happily get macbook.

My almost here new BTO Macbook pro will be going back on the 20th of october when it arrives. Because I will have already ordered the newest whatever comes out. Hopefully new ones ship ASAP, so I can compare both together.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. mBurns macrumors 6502

Doubt it will have a backlit keyboard. Especially with both the cases being aluminum, I'm guessing the backlit keyboard will remain one of those features that separates the boys from the men, or in this case, the MacBooks from the Pros.
    Also, bad news.. you cannot return BTO Apple machines (even if unopened). It says that in the TOS .

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

have you heard anything Eidorian? is this based on an any rumors?

of course we wont know 100% until Oct 14th. but im sooo hoping for this on a MacBook as that will mean the display will automatically dim around the lighting conditions which is what i love about my MacBook Pro.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

MacBook Pro -> MacBook Air -> MacBook

Not to mention even PC competitors including it on more budget models.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

oh so even consumer PC laptops have it now? i just assumed that as the MacBook Air was Apple's new "baby" laptop they included backlighting to show it off even more. i was thinking that the MacBook wouldnt get it and have white keys.

heres hoping!

7. shoppy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes you can, I have done it in the past. Also under distance selling in the UK, you can. I can even do it from my online store account and pay £50, with out any reason within 10 business days to return the order. Or as apple once advised me in the past simply reject the delivery.

That aside apple have the 14 day policy off where is something new comes out they will happily exchange it for the new one. I had it on my last macbook pro back in feb, they upgraded me to the new MBP when I had ordered a BTO SR.

The reason I ask is many of the images I have seen floating about have backlit keyboards, also it makes sense if they are trying to uniform the laptop range and also from a manufacturing process it has to be cheaper surely?

8. -kumar- macrumors member

probably...the mb pro and mba both have it. why not macbook? just another perk.

9. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Agreed with that. I currently have a macbook and would like a light up keyboard, but I don't see it happening. Its another perk for the people that spend the money, and there is nothing wrong with that.

10. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Only way it gets it is if they dissolve the split and make one line of MacBooks....if there's a Pro model then the MB won't have it.

11. Habusho macrumors 6502

I doubt that it would have the backlit keyboard. Little things like this is what differentiates the two product lines. They want you to spring for the MBP if you want all the goodies:) Personally, I turned off the backlighting after the first week of getting my MBP. It's kind of annoying.