Is the new Macbook line worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Bman3221, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Bman3221 macrumors member

1. How could they possible make it better? they say the new Macbooks will use aluminum or some kind of metal, but wouldnt that affect the WiFi? I didnt see major changes in the iPod line except making the iPod look worse than last years. The changes were more eco-friendly products in their iPod lines.
    2. Are they gonna add some accelerometer to their new line up? So you can shake your laptop? :rolleyes: How can you possibly make the new ones better? I think its best to wait after the new macbooks, because they always make changes throughout the lineup the following year.

Now they are gonna have $800 macbooks? big price drop considering that it probably only costs 20% of a $1200 Macbook to make it.

Why would we need a bigger hard drive or RAM?? And this talk about Blueray on a Macbook? Why would we need that? I think to much consumers are falling into Apple's tricks.

I love Apple's products and all but I worked soooo hard to get this MacBook a couple of months ago (previously had an ibook G4) just for Apple to announce days later that they were going to come up with a new lineup.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

How can we judge its value without it being available to buy now? :confused:

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Why bigger HDD and more RAM? Because no one cares about your fake humor thread.

And even Apple doesn't have 80% margins on their products.

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

-LED backlit display
    -Multi touch trackpad
    -Backlit keyboard
    -better video (card?)
    -Thinner and lighter

... there are plenty of things they can (and very well might) do to make them better.

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

How? That is so easy to answer you should be able to answer it yourself.

Alum and Wi-Fi? Are you daft? Hello MBP? iMac? MBA? MP?

Umm you can do that now with YOUR laptop so I'm not sure why you bring that up.

This rumor of upgrades has been going on for a while, and tech always improves so really you can't complain about them offering a new line up. Heck I bought my wife's MB last year and they're saying their putting out new ones? HOW DARE THEY! :rolleyes:

6. Bman3221 thread starter macrumors member

Lets review the consequences again of these features:

-LED backlit display-batteries run out faster than it already does
    -Multi touch trackpad-when it scrolls, it might do something you dont want it to do
    -Backlit keyboard-battery runs out faster
    -better video (card?) :confused:
    -Thinner and lighter-Macbook Air=NO DVD DRIVE. the thinner it is, the less features it has.

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

right, cause LEDs use more power than TFT displays :rolleyes:
    i haven't heard any complaints from MBA or MBP users....
    If you don't like it, turn it off.
    not always the case ... the newest nano is the "thinnest ipod ever" and it has more features than the previous versions ... i don't expect it to get as thin as the air, but it might be a little thinner, and the AL might make it lighter...

8. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

fixed that for ya

9. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

there will always be ways to improve on an existing product /thread

10. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

This amused me the most, when people think they have a point but have no information on the issue

11. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

W00t =D lol LED's IMPROVE the battery life... what a lozer lol.... and yes.. it's really funny when someone so firmly believes in hating something and then ends up getting disowned when it turns out a lot better then expected... and BTW Oct. 14th is CONFIRMED!

12. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

13. Anaxarxes macrumors regular

1.) How could they possibly make it better?? Well, let's start about weight of Macbooks. That are very heavy considering their screen size. What about making them lighter. Is that not "BETTER" ?

What about screens? Macbook's screen contrast ratio and brightness are far behind of industry standards. LED backlighting and a faster, more responsive TFT screen could be BETTER, what do you think.

Your point about "metal" material, well... It's not a point, you're just ignorant. Look at the whole Mac line, and you'll see "metal" in every part.

Why more HDD and RAM? Well afaik, more responsive and snappy computers tend to do the tasks faster than the less reponsive and less snappy computers. What's your point? You really are not making any sense...

Bluray could be and option so you could get your DVD-Writer instead. Or would you be happier with a 2x CD-ROM ? 5 1/2" Floppy?

You should have done your research. New Macbooks' coming was known for a while and if you have done your research, you could have waited.

14. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I don't want a thinner or a lighter Macbook. I want a thicker Macbook with the same weight and better features and a cooling system that's actually effective.

I agree with everything else in your post except for that first part. But thinner=hotter (just look at the heat of the current Macbooks: it's unacceptable) and lighter=less inside (also not good).

15. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

Apple didn't announce a new laptop lineup a couple of months ago. Technically they still haven't - only a notebook event.

If the one you bought serves the purpose you bought it for, be happy with it, it still will after the new ones are released.

16. mosx macrumors 65816

Exactly. How about some real screen and configuration options too?

17. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Last quarter Apple generated more than 7 billion in revenue and a 1.1 billion profit. (Macworld October 2008). While that's decent, it's nowhere near an 80% percent margin, and it's not even 16% so Apple is not ripping us off.

If Apple didn't make any software, the margin of profit would be even less, perhaps much less.