Is the New Macbook screen glass like the MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by WillMak, Oct 20, 2009.

1. WillMak macrumors 6502a

I was searching the pros and cons of the other threads and they don't list not having a glass screen as a con...so that means it does? I can't find anything on apples site about it.

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

4. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does that mean the screen will be protected behind glass like the MBP pro tho?

5. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, if that's true it would be a deal breaker for me. Too many fools have poked their fingers on my macbook's screen causing all sorts of white splotches over the years.

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

The display is glossy, as was the previous MacBooks, but not glassy, like the unibody models.

They must really be stabbing at it to leave permanent splotches on the screen. Do you ever clean it?

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

From the features page

An LED-backlit display of brilliance.
    A 13.3-inch glossy widescreen.
    The moment you open your new MacBook, its glossy LED-backlit display greets you with glorious, full-screen brightness and brings your photos, movies, and presentations alive with luminous color. The widescreen resolution of 1280 by 800 pixels gives you plenty of room to multitask, yet it’s compact enough to take anywhere. And the display is greener than ever: power efficient, free of harmful toxins such as mercury, and made of arsenic-free glass.

It's the exact same display as the 13.3" Macbook Pro.

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

It doesn't have the glass cover which I think is a plus.

Apple would be flowing against their previous practices to put the same quality display as the MBA/MBP in the MB though. Usually a lesser than gamut, viewing angle, brightness, contrast go into the MB's. If you remember, even though the last uMB's looked like the same display on paper as was in the MBA, buyers (including myself) soon found out they were not.

9. icanboogie macrumors regular

icanboogie

no glass - so good!

this makes the new macbook one of the most interesting apple computers!

the glass of the unibodies is a pain in the eye, and the mba is just not capable enough imho, although I like it's display.

(Of course, the 17 MBP with matte option is still the king, but it has it's footprint as well.)

now, we have a small, fully-equipped (*R.I.P. Firewire*) macbook with a nice LED display. Glossy yes, but with an anti-reflection-coating. (if it is the same as in MBA)

I wish they would put this display in the 13 MBP, because I don't want to miss the aluminium....

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Eh, I'll wait to see it alongside the pros before I'd say that. Apple has a history of skimping on the displays on its consumer model notebooks. Compare an ibook to a powerbook, previous gen macbooks to the pros, and even the first gen of the uni mbs to the pros.

And as for no firewire, etc., it's another example of AGATA on new product introductions, Apple Giveth, Apple Taketh Away.