Is the new MBA enough?

Kristers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
UK
Hi guys

Sorry to post up something that has been asked over and over but I'm after some more straight forward (less technical) advice that I haven't been able to find.

My dilemma is: do I purchase the new MBA 13" i7 / 8gb / 512gb or RMBP i7 / 512

I don't specifically need a huge battery life nor the retina screen so will consider either to be a bonus in my final decision. My concern is whether the MBA will be able to handle casual video / photo editing - I like photography and would also like to be able to link up some gopro footage but nothing too serious - everything else will be general Internet use.

Will the new MBA be enough for this or would the RMBP be the better option?

Thanks!

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Hi guys

Sorry to post up something that has been asked over and over but I'm after some more straight forward (less technical) advice that I haven't been able to find.

I don't specifically need a huge battery life nor the retina screen so will consider either to be a bonus in my final decision. My concern is whether the MBA will be able to handle casual video / photo editing - I like photography and would also like to be able to link up some gopro footage but nothing too serious - everything else will be general Internet use.

Thanks!
What's the price difference? I would wait for the new rMBP we may see a slight price drop.

Kristers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
UK
What's the price difference? I would wait for the new rMBP we may see a slight price drop.
The RMBP is about USD240 more at that configuration. I was waiting till WWDC to see whether there would be a new RMBP but I can't really wait any longer. I am travelling without a laptop so looking to get something asap, thanks

sick z33

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2008
The Retina display is amazing and I think you would love it more with photo editing. Do it!

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
If you had said pro photography, video or retouching, the retina premium would be justifiable. For occasional shade-tree stuff, just get the Air you mentioned.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
My air from 2011 can do that sort of stuff, just make sure you get a large enough hard drive.

And personally, I prefer the non-retina non-glassy screen.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
The RMBP is about USD240 more at that configuration. I was waiting till WWDC to see whether there would be a new RMBP but I can't really wait any longer. I am travelling without a laptop so looking to get something asap, thanks
wait it out as Long as u can, then u still have 14 or 30 to return from that point.

Kristers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
UK
Thanks for the replies! I get the feeling that retina is a "once you go retina, you'll never go back" sort of affair. I think the RMBP may be the better option but I can't help feeling like if I get a RMBP, I will regret not waiting once the haswell version is released.

I guess the MBA would be a scapegoat for that somehow.. Either way, I am keen to order in the next day or two so I guess I need to bite the bullet and commit to one!

kis

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Hi guys

Thanks!
ok, the problem here is: if you go Retina, you'll need to get the 15" version. I just went back from a 13" rMBP (got a defective unit, couldn't exchange it - long story) to a MBA and the latter feels massively faster than the 13" rMBP. If the 15" (which is much faster than the 13" - I also have a 15" rMBP that I use at home as my desktop replacement) is too heavy for you, I'd suggest waiting until a refresh comes out for the smaller version. The current one doesn't pack enough processing power to drive the high-res screen and it shows all over the system.

sick z33

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2008
ok, the problem here is: if you go Retina, you'll need to get the 15" version. I just went back from a 13" rMBP (got a defective unit, couldn't exchange it - long story) to a MBA and the latter feels massively faster than the 13" rMBP. If the 15" (which is much faster than the 13" - I also have a 15" rMBP that I use at home as my desktop replacement) is too heavy for you, I'd suggest waiting until a refresh comes out for the smaller version. The current one doesn't pack enough processing power to drive the high-res screen and it shows all over the system.
I agree with kis. This really affects gaming on the rMBP on native resolution (if you will playing any games).

jmcube

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2013
Does the MBA have enough power to:

Run a big screen
Run skype video
Run ~20 tab browser
Run pages
Run keynote
Run a few other processes...

all at the same time?

Thanks,
Jon

Kristers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
UK
Thanks for all your replies! As appealing as the 15" retina is, as I'm travelling, I want to stick to a 13" unit. Having read up some more and with your advice, I think I will get the new MBA! It doesnt make sense to buy the rMBP so close to an upgrade and the MBA should be good enough for what I need plus I won't be feeling disappointed in a few months when the new rMBP is released. Maybe I can look to upgrade further down the line if I really find it necessary.

If anyone has any game changing comments, please say now before I pull the trigger!

kis

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Does the MBA have enough power to:

Run a big screen
Run skype video
Run ~20 tab browser
Run pages
Run keynote
Run a few other processes...

all at the same time?

Thanks,
Jon
I'd say that shouldn't be a problem

----------

Thanks for all your replies! As appealing as the 15" retina is, as I'm travelling, I want to stick to a 13" unit. Having read up some more and with your advice, I think I will get the new MBA! It doesnt make sense to buy the rMBP so close to an upgrade and the MBA should be good enough for what I need plus I won't be feeling disappointed in a few months when the new rMBP is released. Maybe I can look to upgrade further down the line if I really find it necessary.

If anyone has any game changing comments, please say now before I pull the trigger!
I believe you made the right decision - buying a 13" rMBP right now isn't a good investment (unless you find it with a serious discount - and even then you'll be buying a system that is barely strong enough to power its display).