Is the new MBA the right purchase for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by yingyangryder, Jun 14, 2013.

1. yingyangryder macrumors newbie

Hello all, apologies for the length.

I've been waiting to upgrade to a mac for quite a while and I really love the new macbook air. I'm originally from the UK and will be moving to Japan in August so I'm looking at buying one in Japan (because of the tax difference and teacher discount). This means that I'll be saving around £300 give or take a few £££.

Anyway, I need: Portability as I'll be travelling a lot, obvious everyday tasks (word processing, emails, presentations and opening many tabs in safari). Light video editing (For vLogging purposes) and light Photoshop use (as I have recently took up photography as a hobby). Finally, very light gaming e.g. RTS games and casual games like Battle for middle earth (I know it's old), Minecraft etc. (I'm not one for playing blockbusters on a laptop).

I'm thinking of going for the 13" MBA with 8GB Ram, 256 GB SSD and possibly the i7 (I'm unsure on this one). Would this be adequate for what I want? I will probably be buying a desktop for heavy use stuff when I get settled over there.

2. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Sounds great! Enjoy it.

I ordered the same config but with the 11" model.

3. r6mile macrumors 6502

The i7 upgrade seems unnecessary. Save yourself the £120.

4. Bear macrumors G3

In the US it's a $150 difference. And if I'm looking at the Japanese store site correctly, the difference there is ¥14,700.

For some people the i7 can be worth it. And from what he said he is using it for, it might be a good idea.

The configuration looks good for your use. It's your call on the i7, but with the gaming it might be a good idea. The video editing might be helped with the i7 as well.