Is the new MBP worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by md63, Jun 9, 2009.

  1. md63 macrumors 6502

    Jun 11, 2007
    Would appreciate your advise, Which is a better buy right now? The new 15" MBP or prior version? Or should I stick with my current machine?

    Current machine is 2 year old SR 2.2 GHZ MBP (matte, 320gb Scorpio Black, and 4GB). I was thinking about updating my computer because I am concerned about the long term issues with the 8600m GT GPU. I know I'm covered for 3 years.

    I don't do gaming so I understand the 9600 is overkill but isn't that one of the differentiating factors of the MBP? I've had two batteries replaced under Appplecare, so I'm not thrilled with the sealed battery. I also prefer the matte screen and was hoping Apple was going to release an option for the 15". Although I never used the expresscard slot it was alway nice to know it was there incase I wanted to get a 3G card or had an airport problem and needed to get third party wireless card. The SD card is useless to me.

    I'm not really thrilled with this update. What do you think? Stay with the SR MBP 2.2 GHZ or upgrade to the new or prior generation?

  2. Neon1234 macrumors member

    Jun 8, 2009
    It's your money, I would buy the new MBP 17".
    If not wait 6 or so months for the "Next, unbeatable Laptop" :)
    Your Computer seems fine, I want to upgrade to the MBP 17" but I'm still getting by on a Toshiba Qosmio F20 (aprox 4 years old :()
  3. geoffreak macrumors 68020


    Feb 8, 2008
    If your Apple lust isn't kicking in and what you have works, I'd say you can wait another refresh or two.
  4. md63 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jun 11, 2007
    Thanks for your replies. I would prefer the 15 inch. The 17 inch just seems too big for mobility. My apple lust has been in overdrive for a while. That is why I have looking at the unibody models. Maybe I'll just wait for the next revision.

Share This Page