Is the new Mini noiseless?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Digg, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Digg macrumors newbie

Good day,

I'm just wondering: is the new Mini noiseless while gaming or watching 1080p flash movie on YouTube? My old one from 2007 is more than noticeable.

Regards

2. whooda4 macrumors newbie

My 3.5 hdd is louder than the mini its connected to. I have been running plex server and scraping videos all day and the fan does not even kick up past 1800rpm.

I have the i5 with ati graphics.

3. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

^ same.. unless I put my ear on the mini (literally) I can't hear a thing

4. Digg thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the inconvenience;)

5. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

The external hard drive I use for backups is easily twice as loud as the new (or old) mini.

I just picked up the server version yesterday. I ran a few Handbrake conversions, which never fail to get the fans going, and the noise is far from intrusive. Unless it's right near your head, you won't notice it, and even then the fans will need to be going full blast.

It's not much different from the old one in that respect, but the old one had the optical drive, which was really noisy when it was used.

6. vagarach, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

vagarach macrumors member

I can hear a soft wooshing sound when the fans are at ~2300 rpm. At this speed the cpu idle temp is around 60C.

Like whooda4, if the fans are set to 1800, can't hear a thing. Silent except for the hard drive, which I am noticing only because I'm used to the SSD in my old macbook pro.

My model is the 2.5Ghz with ATI graphics.

Just an addendum, the fan is LOUD at anything 4k+. Its not fan noise rather than air noise, if you get what I mean.

7. ^Melkor^ macrumors newbie

Any difference between the 5400rpm and 7200rpm HDs? If they're pretty the same, under noise production, thinking the second one will be my choice.

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

That may be a hard question to answer, as 7200 rpm hard drives were only an apple installed option on mini servers until now.

In general, you should notice faster boot up times on a 7200 rpm hard drive and quicker responses in disc intensive applications or tasks.

I've noticed more vibration after installing 7200 rpm drives in notebooks, since they're spinning faster. But my knowledge may be stale, and new drives may not have this problem.

I'm almost surprised beyond words that apple finally allowed this as an option on the mini!

9. Vermifuge macrumors 6502a

Vermifuge

My 2010 mini server vibrates a lot but i found a simple solution.

[​IMG]

It's a simple cheap round rubber kitchen jar opener. It solves two problems

1) My mini doesn't slide around on the desk any more. Why didn't apple make the base rubberized!?

2) Cuts the vibration and my mini is completely silent until i fire up Eve Online

10. ng7apoc macrumors member

how does this compare to the base iMac? trying to decide between the two and noise level is hugely important to me

would love to hear the idle and load fan speeds from more users :)

11. ryanide macrumors 6502

I just picked up the new server version with the 2 500GB 7200 drives and I've got it ripping handbrake files right now. The CPU is running at 189F so the fan is blasting away at 5372rpm. Quite? not really.. sounds like a mini hairdryer. But is sure is much quieter than my Mac Pro which is more like a southwest 737 on my desk.

That's pretty fast for the fan to be running isn't it?? My Macbook Pro gets up to about 2300rpm, but I guess it has 2 fans.