Is the new "old" white MacBook the right choice for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FieryFurnace, Oct 18, 2008.

1. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

Hi,

I guess now it is my turn to purchase my own Mac.
    I used an iMac G3 couple of years ago, but that's about it – of course I use Macs in school every day, but to get your own Mac finally -> that's something exciting. :D

I somehow need the Mac as soon as possible – semester started already and I just don't enjoy doing assignments/projects on school Macs.
    I was thinking about getting the new "old" white MacBook for $949 (money plays a role for me unfortunately).
    Also, I have to buy a new one (no refurb), because I want to get the Adobe Creative Suite 4 Web Premium using the “with a Mac” discount.
    I basically won't use it for much else, just CS4 – no games.
    Also, I guess I will mostly connect it to my LCD (1680x1050) and use my wireless MS keyboard and mouse – if that is possible.
    I also have an DV-Cam, so Firewire would be kinda nice -> I could finally burn my DV-tapes to DVDs.

What do you guys think?
    Is that the right way to go?
    Will this MacBook last me until I graduate (hopefully May 2010)?

Thanks,

FieryFurnace

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Take a look at the refurbished 2.4 GHz MacBooks.

3. Moks macrumors member

The OP said he couldn't go refurb...

I reckon the last remaining whitebook will serve you well. I'm thinking of getting one myself seeing as Apple his decided to remove firewire from its new models.

4. iceblade macrumors member

I'm in a similar situation to you I think, except I need a more advanced graphics card to work with video (senior movie project in highschool) and maybe play some games. Thats the only reason I am planning to get an aluminum macbook in about 9-10 months. If you aren't playing games, and aren't doing a lot of hardcore editing, I think you'll be fine with a macbook white, and it'll probably even be a better fit for you, especially with money restraints. I just wish the new macbooks had firewire, in case I have to work with a vid. camera that doesn't have USB next year...

So, I think, yes, macbook white is probably the choice for you :). Enjoy!

5. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Good choice. I'm glad apple dropped the combo drive. IOW, it now has a dvd burner superdrive. Get a soft carry case to keep outside clean and with fewer scratches. Use clean hands to keep inside clean. Close lid carefully, do not stack or carry with an extra firm grip; palm rest will not crack. I am not being funny. Macbooks are not indestructable. Take care of it , it will take care of you. Wait 10 or 11 months to buy applecare on ebay. Cheaper and you will know by then if you'll keep it.

6. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Go for it IMO. I still like the look of the white macbooks, you know it's a Mac just a glance at it.
    I got an Incase cover for mine and it really protects it. I found that the plastic scratches easily.