Other Is the new rumored Touch ID here to replace Face ID?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dvir971, Jul 9, 2019.

1. dvir971 macrumors regular

dvir971

So I’ve been hearing a lot of rumors lately about Apple working on a new all screen Touch ID for future iPhones.
    Is it here to replace the Face ID or to come along with it as an extra? Because I really love Face ID and o hate the Touch ID due to sweaty hands, it will be a shame if they roll back like that.

And I’m not talking about the new China not models mess, but the international standard one

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I also hope they keep FaceID. Works very well for me.

Maybe in a few years . . .

3. now i see it macrumors 68040

well.... Apple just posted a YouTube ad about all the greatness and convenience of FaceID, (in their opinion not mine) so it's safe to say that TouchID on an iPhone is dead and not coming back.
    Their pushing & promoting FaceID. That doesn't bode well for TouchID on an iPhone.
    Anyway... They're really jazzed about their animoji BS and 3D mapping, they now have ads using animoji - all which require all those sensors, (and the accompanying notch to hide them) so since the dreadful notch isn't going anywhere, TouchID is gone for good.
    Bad choice in my opinion.

4. JPack macrumors 601

JPack

It may show up as a feature on their entry-level iPhone. The main benefit of in-display fingerprint sensor is cost.

Doubtful it will show up alongside Face ID.

5. Lyn2012 macrumors 6502

I too hope FaceID stays, far better than TouchID in my opinion. Can’t wait to upgrade my iPad to FaceID model.

6. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

If Apple manage to achieve full screen fingerprint scan, it would be a killing feature for many people like me who suffers huge Face ID failing rate (up to 50% in some extreme cases). Despite apple’s huge ad investment on promoting Face ID, i’d Say anything is possible and Touch ID may have a comeback in the future. We should not judge Apple’s decision like we did in 2007 anymore.

7. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

They always push and promote active projects and rarely talk about future technology.

FaceID >>>>> TouchID

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Let’s rewind:

Aside from the physical Touch ID button, Craig Federighi stated they actually experimented with touch ID under the display, but ultimately phased that out in hopes of Face ID would be optimal during the R&D phase. Now, Apple is not really much about options when it comes to biometric security, so if they do intend on using any type of touch ID under the display in the future, I don’t believe Face ID would be the alternative anymore. That said, Face ID is still very much in its infancy is just now expanding into the iPad, eventually into the Mac. I don’t for-see Apple using touch ID under the display anytime soon. Face ID is the future for now, and I don’t see any other alternative maybe three years from now.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Just saw a prime time TV ad touting the FaceID from Apple so it is not going anywhere.

10. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

I really hope not. I love Face ID compared to Touch ID. Don't have to take my gloves off in the winter to authenticate. The swipe up is way more natural to me. I wouldn't mind if they added this in and kept both around.

11. Ric WRX macrumors member

Ric WRX

Face ID is great, fingerprint never worked for me

12. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68040

I don't see Touch ID coming back. It's just "dumb biometrics" capable of a single task, while the Face ID sensors already go beyond that, with more features to come. We're still just scratching the surface with AR, and we can expect "air gesture" control of the device. Current "Attention Awareness" features are often taken for granted, but muting the phone ringer once you're looking at the screen and preventing the screen from dimming while you're looking at it are both direct by-products of Face ID.

While Apple is still in the Touch ID Era on Mac, I see air gesture control as one of the next big things for Mac. That will require the same kind of 3-D sensing provided by the Face ID sensors. Attention Awareness will certainly be a nice addition to Mac as well, along with automatic login without having to wear a Watch...

Overall, Face ID takes both iOS and Mac into the future, while Touch ID has nothing more to add.

13. PorkPump macrumors newbie

The notch is indeed very dreadful.

Sticking to my 7 until it’s gone.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The 7 is going to really get dated.

15. JPack macrumors 601

JPack

Reminds me of the iPhone 5 "Thumb" commercial in 2012.

Jony Ive later confirmed his team had been working on prototype iPhones with displays larger than 6-inches in late 2011.

16. PorkPump macrumors newbie

My 6 can still text, call, browse and take pics.

Imagine that.

17. craigio85 macrumors 6502a

craigio85

Like others in this thread, I really hope Apple don’t go back to fingerprint sensing. I’ve had my iPhone XS since launch day and I continue to to be amazed at how well FaceID, and everything else it enables, works.

As for the notch, the topic has been completely done to death so there’s no point in trying to change anybody’s views.

18. s15119 macrumors 68000

s15119

19. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Wow, you are set for life!

20. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Touch ID does one thing, and it does this thing extremely well: authenticate and grant access with your finger. While Face ID has some huge potential, it’s failing rate is a bit on the high side, at least for me. I know in what scenario Touch ID won’t work, but I still have no idea when does Face ID not work except maybe “too close or too far away”, “face covered by something” and nothing much.
    With that being said, I agree that replacing Face ID with Touch ID as authentication method is kinda weird. Hope they add Touch ID as a backup rather than replace Face ID, especially after they delete 3D Touch on all iPhones.

21. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

I like FaceID, but if the plan is to replace it with a phone which can read your fingerprint when touching anywhere on the screen, I would prefer that.

22. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

I'm okay with face id as I was with touch id. Both have their pluses and minuses. If I had to choose I would like both. Touch id is clearly more convenient, for me, while I'm in bed and want to do something on my phone. Face id is more convenient, for me, other times.

One thing that face id does very well, better than touch id, is the secondary authentication for apps that contain/manage sensitive information.

23. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I held on to my 6s+ as my primary phone because…camera bump. The bump is just as dreadful to me as the notch is to you.

Right now my primary phone is a Pixel.

Care to guess between you and I just when Apple gets rid of the notch and the camera bump?

I would suspect you are in for a shorter wait than I am.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 10, 2019 ---
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA, LOL!!!!!

Hey, so can my iPhone 4. And my iPhone 4s. And my iPhone 5. Imagine that! :D

24. pika2000 macrumors 603

What will happen to Animojis if FaceID is gone?
    So yeah, FaceID is here to stay.

25. nouveau_redneck macrumors 6502a

nouveau_redneck

FaceID is not going anywhere.

The question is; will they introduce in screen TouchID to complement it.