Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hansii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
The old MBA SSD was pretty slow, does anyone know the model number of the new one? Is it any faster? The newest Intel SSD reads at 250MB/s and writes at almost 100MB/s, that's alot faster than the old MBA SSD.

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
As far as I know, until Intel released its SSDs, Samsung's 64GB was the best one available? Or at least so it seemed in all the tests. Although PATA version in Air might have been slower than SATA, it still didn't make it slow in any way.

And I don't think the 128GB SSD offered by Apple now could be Intel's.

ducatidoc

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
what i want to know is since the HDD switched from pATA to sATA is it safe to assume that the SSD will as well?

i would think/hope this would account for a huge speed bump.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
To my understanding, MLC is the BEST/FASTEST. Thanks for finding the links.

OCZ is made by Samsung, but cost less.

dehory

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2008
I just looked up specs for the new, highly-regarded Intel X-18M/25M mentioned by the OP. The STEC MLC drive doesn't compare favorably:

Speed (read, write)

STEC: 90MB/s, 60MB/s
Intel: 250MB/s, 70MB/s

Power consumption (active, idle)

STEC: 1W, 500mW
Intel: 150mW, 0.06W

It might be interesting to take a look at the Samsung drives' specs too.

(NB: The power consumption figures are iffy because STEC doesn't specify its benchmarks for active and idle.)

EDIT: Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me than say whether Intel's "bandwidth" spec is the same as a figure for maximum read rate. It seems wildly higher than the figures given by both STEC and Samsung.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.