Is the Notification system on the Apple Watch seperate from the iPhones?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iFanaddic, Mar 29, 2015.

1. iFanaddic, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015

iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

I love the idea of "at a glance notifications" but I do not want to start reading my text messages and my emails once or twice because the notifications "came in" on the iPhone's lockscreen as well... That would really annoy my general experience with the watch.

Is this inevitable? Do we know how it'll be handled? Should I start "filtering" what comes in on my phone?

Because if my watch looks anything like my notification center on my iPhone it's gonna be A MESS!! I better take a visit to the notifications tab in my iPhone's setting because this will take FOREVER And I'm sure I'm not only speaking for myself here. My iPhone is an attention whore!....But I think it can be fixed....and I'm sort of hoping the Apple Watch is there to filter all that crap... Sort of a smart way of informing me.

To add to this already complex issue, the watch being much more intimate device one may want to see notifications they usually wouldn't want appearing on their iPhone (AKA the personal stuff).. Will it be all or nothing? Or can we filter?

When I really think about it; Why would I want my phone to ring, vibe or flick on while wearing the watch? I believe the logical thing to do would be to forward everything to the Apple Watch when one wears it, iPhone is basically on DND and has the Watch is taken off the iPhone takes over for notifications. (my theory is good but maybe not optimal for answering phone calls.. maybe a button "Answer on iPhone"?)

Again.. what do we know?/think?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427696900.214791.jpg

2. Multiverse223 macrumors regular

My response is that anything you think of, or worry about, Apple considered long ago. They've been working on it for over 3 years. They have most assuredly created a solution for any possible problems or complexities with notifications. So far as to not allow notifications to come to the watch while it is off the wrist. The solutions are there, we don't have the product yet to know them all.

3. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I was worried about this also so recently took a closer look at the notifications that my phone gets. My Pebble could be flooded with notifications but it gets them all at once and you can get rid of them with one button push (but usually just look at the last one or two).

I told my phone to stop all kinds of notifications I had been getting before. I really do not care to have my wrist vibrate every time something happens on facebook. The best one was when I saw I can tell it which of my several emails to send me notifications from. I have 3 accounts where I WOULD like to know immediately if I get something on. The rest can wait until I open the mail app. The fun side effect of that one is that I no longer get the unread email count from the accounts that can wait. If I see there are THREE messages, it means there are THREE I want to read. I do not see the other 15 that I will probably instantly delete. It makes it all less urgent.

4. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

My understanding is when you are wearing the Watch and your iPhone is locked, notifications will be sent to the Watch instead of the iPhone. I believe there is a setting to change this behavior in the Watch app.

I also thought when you dismiss a notification on the Watch it will also dismiss it on your iPhone. I could be wrong though.

5. Mr.C macrumors 601

My understanding is that the watch will get exactly the same notifications that appear on your phone. Whether this is configureable through the :apple:Watch App I don't know.

6. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

I hope so. Handoff sure doesn't work this way and it drives me crazy to the point I'm about to turn it off.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

When I dismiss a notification on my Pebble it dismisses it on the phone so I would think Apple's system would work the same way.

8. APPLE-FANATIC macrumors 6502a

APPLE-FANATIC

Reminders App?

Im shocked that Apple did not add the stock App "Reminders" to the :apple:Watch. I guess thats what notifications and glances may replace.

9. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

This. Has me worried.

10. l.marcus macrumors newbie

l.marcus

I hope they come out with it eventually. One of the use cases I'm looking forward to is using my grocery list on my watch instead of carrying around my phone. I could always switch to Clear or some other list but then I would have to force my wife to switch as well so our shared lists stay in sync.

11. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

This is my understanding, too. Though I'm betting there's an option to squelch certain notifications on your watch if you want.

I see this working like the notifications settings do now: You can see a drop down, a pop up and/or an Apple watch notification.

12. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Yup. I just love when I get a phone call and both my phone and my Mac ring, and even after I pick it up on my phone, the computer keeps ringing for another 5-10 seconds.