Is the Nvidia Geforce 8800 GS good for gaming

Discussion in 'iMac' started by flipster, Apr 17, 2010.

1. flipster macrumors 6502a

I have an iMac with a 3.06 ghz intel core 2 duo processor, snow leopard 10.6.3, an nvidia geforce 8800 gs, and 2 gb of ram. I wanted to play games like Counter Strike: Source and Left 4 Dead 2. How would those games work on my iMac?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Probably do it on medium to high settings with no issues.

3. aki macrumors 6502a

i have your exact machine except for 4gb ram rather than 2gb

i dont actually play either of the titles you list, but I've played lots of other 3d graphics games without any issues at all. as a very general rule, if its a somewhat older game, i can usually run everything at max or near max settings. if its a current title, again as an average, id probably end up running games at about 80% of their max settings ie. still looking very nice

so yes i think its a good card (given the age of it)

one thing - be sure you have updated directx and your nvidia drivers - it helps

4. TheAppFinder macrumors newbie

TheAppFinder

I wouldnt game on the 8800 GS. Its probably going to start dying on you in a year or less. I am going through my 3rd card in a month.

5. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

What manufacturer? Just because your card keeps dying doesn't mean it is specifically the nVidia chip.

6. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Eh? All the 8800GS cards in the iMacs are nVIDIA reference boards, branded as nVIDIA. Basically yes, it's the nVIDIA chip going wrong.

7. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

I thought you were talking about a PC or Mac Pro since you said it was on a card.

Are you saying you've been through 3 iMacs?