Is the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 any good?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nusynergy, Mar 20, 2009.

1. nusynergy macrumors regular

2. alanrwl macrumors newbie

Junk

I got the new Mac Pro with the nVidia GT 120 card. My impression... junk. I've never had a card that caused the text on a web page to "shift" vertically when scrolling the page. It's like taking one of those magnifying rulers and scanning down a newspaper column, the monitor has never done this before nor now on 2 other machines. Shopping for an ATI, will be selling this POS soon!

3. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I gotta be honest that sounds more like a graphical glitch than anything. Even my X3100 MacBook can handle that just fine. Maybe you should check your updates or wait for 10.5.7.

To OP: I think it depends on what you want to do. For general usage I'm sure its' just fine. If you do heavy editing of HD Video or lots of 3D related work than obviously your probably going to want more. Also the same goes for games.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

its just the graphic drivers settle down. the MBPs had the same problems with the 8600's aswell!

the GT120 = the 9600GT, its just rebadged. its a fairly decent card i guess... for basic gaming.

5. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

Does that mean that the 120 is as good as the card in the unibody MBP?

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes thats mainly what it implies. im fairly certain that the GT120 isnt a desktop card and is a mobility card.. they should basically be identical if that were the case.

7. Manwithnoname macrumors newbie

I had a new MBP with that card before I sent it back for an iMac, because didn't need portability. But when I installed all my games they played fine. Better than expected.

I know it's old but I had HL2 running at max settings completely.

I now have a 130GT, but if you havn't got the extra cash for that I would be fine with a 120GT

8. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

It's a desktop card, maybe not the best card but it is designed for desktops.
    Link: GT 120

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

aahh thanks for that. donno how the cramp that card into the iMac (beats me)

10. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

The iMac's card has an M on the end meaning mobility.
    Check it out: iMac's Mobile Card

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ahh i have been confusing the two. M meaning mobility. the card is just smaller, but still has the same power as the full size desktop equivalent? i keep thinking its dedicated for some odd reason. thanks for clearing it up!

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

....am I missing where the 120 is even listed on that link:confused:

13. Strigoi macrumors member

The Desktop version is higher clocked but nothing shocking between the desktop and mobile version. Both are 128-bit and have DDR3 ram.

14. alanrwl macrumors newbie

Still junk

My machine is up-to-date, the drivers are current, the machine is the latest available and I've even tried another (new) monitor on the system... still have the "shifting" problem. Still not happy with it, still consider it JUNK!!! I was running 2 displays off an Intel iMac w/ half the VRAM and it never once did this.

15. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

So buy the 4870 for your Mac Pro and ditch the 120.