Is the O-Coating Better on the IP4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ZipZap, Jul 12, 2010.

1. ZipZap macrumors 601

Is the O-coating on the iP4 better than previous phones? I'm not getting many finger prints...and liking the phone nekid!

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I think it's the same. People who claim it's much better than their 3GS have worn down the oleophobic coating on the 3GS and those who claim it's worse may have an iP4 with defective coating and should swap it out for a new one. It's not immune to manufacturing defects so there'll certainly be a batch with defective oleophobic coating.

The original iPhone and 3G do not have oleophobic coating.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Can anyone explain how well this coating is supposed to work? I mean, if you touch the screen, does it never smudge? Or do smudges disappear later? When I first got it I was wiping it all the time, since it seemed worse than my 3G. But if I leave it alone, it seems to clear itself. However, from reading, it seems your supposed to wipe it on a clean cloth. So, can anyone explain just how this is supposed to look and how to treat the glass after a fingerprint?

4. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

From what I understand, you still get fingerprints, and they don't magically disappear. It simply makes it (supposedly much) easier to wipe them off. On my Power Support screen protector on my iPod touch, when I wipe it, it just smudges around and it takes a WHILE to wipe off an hour's worth of finger prints. Supposedly on the ones with oleophobic coatings, you wipe it once or twice, and it's fully clean. I've used 3GSs and it seems pretty good, but I'll get some first-hand experience when my iP4 comes in.

5. ZipZap thread starter macrumors 601

Well, I have a 3GS and I think the IP4 coating is better. Perhaps its better in concert with the new glass...but I see a difference.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

How do you know the oleophobic coating on the 3GS hasn't worn off?

7. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if it takes an hour to wipe your screen clean, maybe wash your hands a little more often. Im seriously not trying to be an ass, but yeah washing, or purell, something if your hands are that grimey! I have the same issue, I work with my hands all day, but if I wash them alot, I notice the oily nature of them decreases during the day!

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Here's Bill Nye's explanation

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You might clean your eyes and re-read what he posted.

Trust me, I had already read that. I’ve noticed my screen is very smudgy and getting rid of these smudges is much harder than my 3G. However, if I just leave the screen along, it seems to clean itself fairly well. Too bad I don’t have a video of it, or someone doesn’t have a video of a fingerprint and then cleaning it.