Is the OCZ Agility 4 512GB SSD any good?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by howell2510, Oct 18, 2012.

1. howell2510 macrumors newbie

Need some help, I think my hard drive in my 2011 Macbook Pro may be dying, so I am trying to figure out what I should buy I am looking in to the OCZ Agility 4 - 512GB Internal Solid State Drive but I need help due to the fact I am in the middle of the ocean (in the navy and deployed) and its hard to do research and I just don't know that much about the subject, so if anyone can help that would be great thank you

2. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Not an expert by any means, but the Agility is slower than the Vertex. I was going to get the Vertex but when I did my homework, I decided to go with the Samsung 830. I want the 512 but still over $500, so going the 256. On sale today for $155. Hope this helps

PS Spent 3 days in 2003 on the USS Nimitz ( AF guy). Had a blast. COD on and off from Qatar AOC.

3. howell2510 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info, I have a 500gb in there right now and I like the space, so I am trying to keep it but looking at the price of the 500gb ssd's they are still really high. The OCZ is the only one I can find at a reasonable price but I keep getting mixed reviews and most of them are for PC's. So I am still kind of at a crossroad, do I wait until the price falls or try my hand with OCZ?

4. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

If you can wait, that is always the answer. If current drive OK, then at-least wait till after Black Friday. That is what I am going to do. Almost ordered the 256 Samsung the other day on sale for $155, but I am currently in Saudi Arabia and will not be home till late Nov, after the return date if something was wrong with the drive.

I am now looking at the Samsung 830 or 840 512G if I can find it under $500
    256G at $155 so tempting

If I was to offload all my media stuff onto an external HDD, then a 256 would be OK. Not a bad idea since I rarely use my music and videos. Pic's i always look at and not that big of a folder anyway