Is the ODD 3Gbit/s in the 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by syan48306, Feb 27, 2011.

1. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

Because the ODD is only a SATA II device and is capping the SATA link to 3gbit/s connection? Or is it because apple never bothered to update their software to support 6gbit/s in their ODD?

Basically has anyone tried to stick a C300 or any SATA III device into the ODD SATA connector and see what kind of connection it's at?

I'm planning on going with a dual HDD/SDD setup but I'd like to keep the Disk drive in the original location because it has marginally better shock protection and the nand drive in the ODD location. If the SATA III port in the ODD is software limited to SATA II connections, then I'd be forced to do the opposite :/ Anyone try it out?

2. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Because of issues from waking up from sleep, it is recommended to stick the SSD in the original hard drive slot.

3. syan48306 thread starter macrumors 6502a

syan48306

4. Sälli macrumors newbie

I have to say I'm not really convinced about this. There are plenty of people who are happy to run their SSDs from the optical slot. And at the same time, there are plenty of people who have their SSDs in the HD bay and are having issues with sleep, caused by problems somewhere along Apple hardware - EFI - SSD firmware - SSD controller.

Is there a reliable report of sleep (or other) issues in the optical drive bay, but not in the HD bay of the exact same computer with the exact same SSD drive? (And I'm not saying there isn't. They're just hard to find from all these conflicting reports.)

5. syan48306 thread starter macrumors 6502a

syan48306

To be honest, I haven't heard too much about sleep issues with the HDD's in the ODD location. I've actually heard more about motion sensors not working in ODD but then again I don't actually have anything concrete at the moment.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Some hard drive come equipped with their own motion sensor, which would mean the point is moot. I believe WD has the scorpio black with and without the SMS.

7. StandardMeth0d macrumors member

StandardMeth0d

I've been hearing about whether to keep the ssd in the odd slot or the hdd slot because of sleep issues. I asked Duane from OWC if it mattered, and he said it didn't. The sleep issues have nothing to do with where your drives are placed.