Is the old MacBook Pro's HDD simple to replace?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DDar, Oct 19, 2008.

1. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

Well, I recently noticed that 250GB of space isn't as much space as I once thought. <_<''
    My last drawing, the Cthulhu, is a file of about 500MB... Without color... So I've been thinking about replacing my harddrive before the lack of space causes my computer to slow down. Now, I've got time before that happens (I've got about 178.6 GB left), but it's still something to think about. Now, I have a friend who's MacBook's HDD died on him, and when the apple store replaced his HDD it was never the same. It wouldn't run as well, it couldn't run too many things... And basically it wasn't a happy computer...

Anyways, I was wondering if it's easy to replace the HDD. I know the RAM is easily replaced, but I haven't heard to much along the lined of the HDD.

Also, what's the maximum size of HDD that the old MBP can take? I know PS3s have a limit of about 320 GB (or was it 250?), does the MBP?

Also, after I replace the HDD and install OSX off the backup disk (something I have NO idea how I'd do btw...) would I be able to completely replace my HDD as it was from a time Machine backup? Like, would the Apps be installed? Or would I have to re-install everything on a new HDD? How exactly does it work? =(

Thanks in advance! =D

2. PAUL BRIAN macrumors member

3. johnsy macrumors 6502

Here is service manual.

It is doable. However there are 2 questions. First of all are you ready to experiment? Second is are you ready to loose warranty? That is if things go wrong.

4. johnsy macrumors 6502

As for size then 500GB seems the biggest you can get. Now there are another question- which one, because I know that samsung's 500 and seagates or WD 500 is not the same- some are thicker and some are thinner design, so they will not fit physically.

5. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Oh, you lose your warranty? D=

Umm... What if I took it to the Apple store and gave them the new HDD... Would they be able to replace my HDD without voiding my warranty? <.<''

6. jTreu macrumors 6502

I wouldn't suggest it, you lose your warrenty and I've seen a few people destroy their laptops attempting it.

7. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

Thanks for posting that! :D

8. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

I've replaced HDs on old MBPs and AppleCare still took care of subsequent issues...

9. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

It's not such a risky job, one just needs to be careful and it DOES NOT void your warranty.

Sorry for the big letters :D

10. weckart macrumors 68040

Meh, I've done it. It is not for the cack-handed or the impatient, as you could easily bend the palmrest plate. Once you have got it open, it is fairly easy. The hardest part was putting it back.

Your warranty is only modified to the extent that none of the new parts you introduce is covered by Apple's warranty or Applecare. Furthermore, if your modifications directly cause any faults, then these will also not be covered. Otherwise, business as usual.

11. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Just remember to get a 9.5mm hard disk (that's height). As far as I know, only Samsung do a 500GB 9.5mm HD.

12. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I just got a refurb Macbook Pro and was wondering which HDD people could suggest, I am ideally thinking of going from a 200GB to 320GB or more.

13. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

I wouldn't say its SIMPLE to do, but it is doable.. It took me about 45 minutes the first time and I was being very careful since I hadn't done it before, but I've opened 2 other MBPs since - its not a hard thing to do, you've just gotta be careful.

As for the warranty, it doesn't void your entire warranty. If you have a problem with your MBP thats not related to the hard drive, then you're fine. If you have a problem with your hard drive, then the warranty won't cover it. (You'd have to go back to the HD vendor).

Apple won't replace the HD's for you, I've asked a few times in different stores but its not a service they offer. There are 3rd party places that'll do it for a price but to me its not worth it.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Big letters don't make something true. While many have successfully replaced their hard drives on MBPs, Apple's official stance is that if the user does so, it DOES void both the Apple Limited Warranty and the AppleCare Protection Plan, even if you cause no damage during the installation. If you have doubts, call Apple directly and ask them. I did. Here's a good rule to follow: If Apple provides instructions on how to install something, such as RAM or, in the case of the new MBP, a hard drive, then it doesn't void the warranty. If Apple doesn't provide instructions, then it's not intended to be a user-serviceable part.

15. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

FUD...

Check out iFixit for easy to follow step by step instructions. As long as you have the dexterity of a sixth grader, you're good to go.