Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Is the only way to charge the Apple pencil by connecting it to the iPad. I really think that is obnoxious to have to do that. First off it makes me worried to use the iPad when the pencil is physically connected on the off chance of bumping the pencil and breaking it off on the iPad. Additionally, it looks a tad bit phalic coming off the iPad Pro, just sayin. Kinda like the equivalent of truck balls on a giant lifted truck.

Is there not an option to just plug it into a normal lightning cable?

lchlch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2015
Is the only way to charge the Apple pencil by connecting it to the iPad. I really think that is obnoxious to have to do that. First off it makes me worried to use the iPad when the pencil is physically connected on the off chance of bumping the pencil and breaking it off on the iPad. Additionally, it looks a tad bit phalic coming off the iPad Pro, just sayin. Kinda like the equivalent of truck balls on a giant lifted truck.

Is there not an option to just plug it into a normal lightning cable?
Use the included adapter.

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
The Pencil comes with a Lightning adapter for charging with the iPad charger.
Plugging it into the iPad can be useful when you don't have a charger with you.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
The Pencil comes with a Lightning adapter for charging it with the iPad charger.

Whew, that's a relief. Otherwise I was on the fence about getting the pencil if the only way to charge it was to plug it into the iPad.

PattyMc

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
You will find that when you need a quick charge, inserting Pencil into IPP is a really great thing! 15 seconds gives you quite a bit of battery. I got over the "looks funny" issue the first time I tried it.
Of course, you can use the adapter, if you prefer, but I haven't used it at all.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
You will find that when you need a quick charge, inserting Pencil into IPP is a really great thing! 15 seconds gives you quite a bit of battery. I got over the "looks funny" issue the first time I tried it.

This.

The design reason for this seems obvious and simple to me: Apple wants people to be able to charge this thing both at your desk, and away from it. If it was a female plug on the Pencil, so it would just accept a lightning cable, you could charge at your desk just fine, but then you need to remember to bring the charging cable and brick with you.

The way it is designed, the workflow actually makes a ton of sense:
- If I am at my desk, I can charge the iPad or the Pencil from the lightning cable, using the supplied adapter.
- If I am in a meeting, the only things I need to bring with me are the iPad and Pencil itself. The iPad should easily survive a 1-2hr meeting (I only charge at night), and if you do get caught with the Pencil's charge low, you can just plug it in for a quick boost to get through the meeting.

It actually makes it less likely for you to lose something by forgetting it at the meeting, since you take less stuff with you when you get up from your desk. To me, that's the right way to do it.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I would think you could use an iPhone dock with a lightning connector as well. I use one to charge my Apple TV remote and I'm sure it would work with the Apple Pencil.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.