Is the optical drive supposed to be this touchy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lilcosco08, Dec 25, 2010.

1. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Excuse me for a lack of a better word.
    Anyways new Mac user here
    But I was installing iWork, and had the Pro on my lap, and Went to put it on a table.
    As soon as I moved it the slightest bit, I heard this horrible grinding, and thought I ruined the disk.
    Luckily, it still works (with a circular gash), but is the OD supposed to be like that?

Thanks!

2. celticpride678

Sounds pretty usual. That being said, you might have heard the sudden motion sensor going off, locking the hard drive into place (also normal).

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

No. What the OP is describing is pretty usual signs of the disc spinning like a gyro, and the disc drive not spinning like a gyro (attached to the MBP), so the disc scrapes against components inside the disc drive.

My recommendation (that I always follow, myself): Never move around your MBP with a disc in it.

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

That thing goes off so easily for me! At first I thought it was a loose piece inside but then I remembered that feature and I dont recall hearing that on a regular MacBook.

5. ZebOfMac macrumors regular

ZebOfMac

To the OP.

From what you said it sounds like you were moving the computer while the disk was spinning. As a rule of thumb with any optical drive, do not move it while the disk is spinning. What you experienced is normal while reading a disk at those speeeds and moving the computer.

6. lilcosco08 thread starter macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ah, alright
    It was just weird because my old laptop never did this
    I'm still adjusting :p