Is the original iPad still worth buying?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AaronE, Apr 20, 2011.

1. AaronE macrumors 6502

I'm looking at buying an iPad, but I'm not sure I need the iPad 2. Is it worth buying still? Just wondering if the slow downs are that bad with the new iOS update compared to the iPad 2?

I figured if I could one for $350 or less it would still be a good deal even with the slowdowns.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The iPad 1 is still an excellent device. If money is tight and you don't need the cameras, its still a great buy.

3. unkn0wnsoldier macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

I would say that it really depends. What do you want to do? If you don't care about the camera, then I would go for the original iPad. I owned the first iPad and upgraded to the iPad 2. I must say that I like the new one better (of course), but it's not really much of a difference. Yeah, the first one is slower, but getting a 3g 64gb iPad for the original price of a 32gb wifi is hard to beat. I've considered returning my new one for one of those sweet deals.

4. AaronE thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I can live without the camera because i use the one on my phone. But that's what I was looking for. I just don't want to go through whole iPhone 3G iOS 4 thing again.

5. infamousjax macrumors newbie

I considered it but it's only 100 bucks more and the iPad 2 is a lot more future proof than the first gen.

Even if you just plan on using it for web browsing, I'd go for the newer one.

I'd take the plunge.. you know you won't regret it.

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I don't think you'll be upset with getting the iPad one. Back when I had it, the websites I viewed never made the device lag and HD video played back without a hickup. I don't see why I would need to use cameras on a tablet and they both have amazing battery life.

if you want to save some cash, go ahead and get the first gen, you won't regret it (if you like it lol). The iPad 2 has a dual core processor however... I don't really see the need right now? Did they increase the RAM? If not, you aren't really going to see drastic differences... but the ones you see you'll have to think about if they're worth it or not. Right now if I had the choice and I was picking "logically", I'd get the first gen.

7. henry2 macrumors regular

henry2

Yes i think it worth buying simple as that ..it does everything you need to do without a camera ..

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just don't go to a store where you can fondle them both. You will leave with an iPad 2.

9. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

It is definitely worth it to buy!

I've had mine for about a week now and it's wonderful. The only thing I don't like about it is the 256MB v. 512MB of RAM. I have an iPhone 4 and it multitasks like a champ. The iPad doesn't slouch, but it just isn't as fast. That, and the processor is slower so that has something to do with it, of course.

With that said, considering you can get it for cheaper now, I'd say go ahead and pull the trigger. Months or a year from now with the iPad 3, you'll be ready to get that upgrade. Kind of like the iPhone 3G -> iPhone 4 which was what I did. Also, you can hand off the iPad 1 as a gift or a second tablet for the household in the future. Not bad!

10. ethics101 macrumors regular

I don't think its worth the buy at the current price point, but that's because of my own personal theory.

I think the June event will be heavily OS related since the Iphone 4S, 4G or whatever is not going to be released until September. Now that the iPad has a dual core processor you have to think better multi tasking will be enabled. The original already cannot run certain apps, which is already a downfall. Personally, I don't see the iPad 3 coming out with another great leap in processor ability (My bet is Quad Core will be 2013). I was in the same situation as you and decided to buy the iPad 2 and absorb the extra cost and skip the iPad 3.

11. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Really, the Camera, Graphics Processor, Dual Core, Gyroscope, Smart Cover, and so on aren't that big of a deal on iPad 2...

The big deal is the 512MB RAM. If the iOS 5 or 6 requires 512MB, then iPhone 4 and iPad 2 will be fine, but iPhone 3GS and iPad 1 will be out of luck.

To a lesser extent, there may be some future features that require Dual Core. In that case, only iPhone 5 and iPad 2 will be supported. (iOS 6?)

The question you need to ask yourself is -- "How long do I want to use this device?"

If you are buying a 16GB WiFi model and planning on using it for a couple of years - the iPad 1 is a GREAT deal right now.

If you're planning on buying a 64GB 3G model and using it for three or four years - spend the extra money to get the iPad 2.

12. gatearray macrumors 65816

Which apps might those be?

13. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Save the money and get the first gen iPad. Since April 2010, I've had the iPad 1st gen and it's been great. Still, it lasts a good 10 hrs, it plays netflix very nicely, it surfs the web fast, and it tethers well with my iphone 4.

Today, the prices for the ipad 1 are low; even lower for a used one.

In 2012, when the iPad 3 comes out, then upgrade.

14. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

As a 1 - 2 owner and daily user. I use Both everyday. The iPad 1 is still a Beast. I hope they are always going to be available for sale.

15. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I was in the same situation and when I was able to get a NIB, 32Gb 3G iPad for $449.96 with no tax and no shipping charges from our local base PX I pulled the trigger.

I intend to use this for ~2 years or less when Ivy Bridge begin to hit the MBP/MBA line to see what the 2012 redesign brings to the table :D

Besides, I have the 4th Gen iPod Touch so I don't need more crappy cameras in my iDevices :p

16. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

No, but there are lots of little improvements. I have both and much prefer the iPad2. The original iPad is still great though. All it boils down to is can you afford/justify the extra cash?

17. Gunny011 macrumors regular

Get the 2. The dual core processor means the device is more future proof than the original. Websites do load far quicker and everything is snappier . The ram increase is noticeable all the time...I no longer expect safari to reload or apps to reload.

iPad 2 would have been designed for the benefits of iOS 5.

Update us on what you decide.

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That's the main reason I would recommend buying the newest product if you can afford it. But if you find an older one for $299 or so, I might get that. The original iPad is NOT a bad product at all. I love the new one, but I went with it because I waited it out and dammit wanted a white one. The main difference is the better processor and RAM. I think I can tell a difference, but if you're just reading ebooks you won't notice a darn thing.

19. antaresv macrumors newbie

antaresv

I would suggest the iPad 2. I'm a heavy user of the iPad 1 (reading research papers, web, ebooks, learning guitar, games, photo editing, Hulu, Netflix etc.) and I find that I'm loading down the device quite a bit.

In particular, for web browsing, the iPad 1 needs to reload pages more often when you switch between the web pages, meaning it does use up more data. Granted it might not be a substantial amount, but it does add up.

Several apps feel a little sluggish on the iPad. Garage band in particular Was a little slow on the iPad 1 in my comparisons between my iPad 1 and an iPad 2 in store. The iPad 2 also had more programs open during my comparison.

In the end, if you're a heavy user or anticipate to be one, iPad 2 would be the way to go.

20. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I just bought an iPad 1, and I had the money for an iPad 2.

The reason I went with the iPad 1 is because I don't want or need the cameras on the iPad 2, I have an iPhone 4 for pictures and HD video which can easily be transferred. To me the iPad 1 is snappy and quick and I love it!!

21. freeman727 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I was in the same boat, I bought an iPad 1 after the release of the 2 but sold the 1 recently and put an order in for the 2. The main reason? Speed! Trust me, the iPad 1 feels slow next to my iPhone 4 even though the benchmarks show otherwise.

22. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Yep worth buying.

So Is Ipad 2 faster than Iphone 4?

I know Ipad 1 is slower.

23. gatearray macrumors 65816

No, iPad 1 is actually faster than iPhone 4, and iPad 2 beats them all.

24. dacapo macrumors 6502

I don't this this is necessarily true. Yes, 512MB RAM will allow you to have more apps running in the background, but no single app that I know needs that much memory to run. It's not the iOS that has RAM requirements; it's the individual apps.

Down the line, maybe 2 years from now, when the iPhone 4 becomes near obsolete... that is when the iPad 1 will be nearly obsolete as well, due to the CPU being the same. (So, I'm really saying it's not so much RAM but processor performance that matters.)

With the rest of your points, I'm in agreement.

Actually, this is right I think, since the iPhone 4 has an underclocked CPU where as iPad 1 is a full 1GHz. So, iPad1 will have a "slightly longer" shelf-life than the iPhone 4, if we are just talking about its ability to run more demanding programs... (Unless we account for the fact that it's driving a larger display, so maybe it's about the same in the end.)

25. King Ahab macrumors newbie

I couldn't find an iPad 2 and bought an iPad 1 for $200 less than what the alternative iPad 2 would have cost me had I been able to find one and the money I saved has already been put away for purchase of iPad 3 or 4. I'm extremely happy with iPad 1 and will upgrade when a higher resolution iPad is introduced in 1 - 2 years. Until then I expect my iPad 1 to do everything I need it to do.