Is the OS X Installer a barebones OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DockMac, Jun 7, 2012.

1. DockMac macrumors regular

When we install OS X, we get an install environment that looks like OS X, filled with menus, a background, and windows. If you took a quick look, you would think it is a full fledged OS.

Is the OS X installer actually a barebones version of OS X? Or is it just made to look like it?

2. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

I believe (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that it is not an OS, but only an installer environment (with the UI of the operating system that it installs) from which a user may run utility applications such as Disk utility to help repair the HD. It simply provides a graphical way to see what is being installed. Plus, you can't write information on an installer, you can only read.

short answer: As to my knowledge the answer is no... it isn't an OS. True, it probably comes from OS X, but I don't think it's the same :apple:

3. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

The installer OS is just a smaller version of (Mac) OS X. This version is also HFS-compressed ((Mac) OS X 10.6 and newer).

Similar versions of Mac OS X existed for Mac OS X 10.0-10.6 (on a CD/DVD). It is not new.

4. DockMac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys.

I've been wondering it since 10.1, but never posted! lol.