Is the PC / Windows world making a comeback?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by phrehdd, Jan 12, 2017.

1. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

A friend sent me this and I thought it might make for an interesting topic here. Given that some folks are a touch frustrated or disillusioned with and/or ready to jump ship on Apple, I thought this might be a starting point for discussion beyond what is "right" or "wrong" about Apple. After all, other players in this field simply might have something people want.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/0...il&utm_term=0_a5f55c1c4f-f565bcf836-444116233

2. chabig macrumors 68040

He's fishing for clicks at Apple's expense. I think Apple is fine.

3. Dsching Suspended

Dsching

The surfacebooks are overpriced and not very popular.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

A come back from where?

[​IMG]

While Windows is in no danger of losing its lock on the PC market, the Apple Mac is closing in on an important milestone: Macs now account for almost 10 percent of all PCs in use. Likewise, Windows has fallen below 90 percent usage share for the first time.

As you probably know, the Mac has been slowly gaining on the rest of the market for the past decade or more. But the platform has never risen above its low, single-digit market share despite Apple routinely touting how Mac has outperformed the wider PC market.

That’s about to change. And it appears that Mac usage has in fact actually surged a bit. This, in addition to keeping to a regular drumbeat of incremental market share (unit sales) and usage gains for a long, long time, has the Mac on the cusp of taking a big step into double-digit usage share for the first time since the Cretaceous.

According to the latest numbers from NetMarketShare, the Mac now accounts for 9.57 percent of all PCs currently in use. Windows is of course still number one, with 88.77 percent of all usage. (Linux is in third, with 1.65 percent.)

link