Is the Post Office Stealing my Packages?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Unprocessed1, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

In December, I shipped out a Samsung monitor (that someone on MR bought!!) via USPS. It never got to them, and in fact the tracking still says that it was scanned at the post office but never left.

Now again, over a week ago, I sent Bose speakers to someone that had bought them on ebay, and the tracking still says it never left the post office...

I shipped both items in the original box, which I'm sure some of you will try to flame me for, but I purchased insurance and I expect mail carriers to me honest enough not to steal the items.

What are the odds that the people in my post office basically stole the items, and what actions should I take?

I'm already in the process of an insurance claim for the monitor from December, but at this point filing a claim for a second item (second straight item I shipped using this P.O.) is getting ridiculous!

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

There are dishonest people everywhere. Go to the post office where you shipped the items and ask to talk to the local postmaster. If he/she is not in on it, the postmaster will have a good idea who isn't trustworthy. Of course, be calm, polite, and not accusatory...

3. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

This. They should be able to know who had a shift that day and who would of handled it. Now if they will investigate it or not is entirely up to them.

4. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I've had trouble with my local post office as well - not stealing, but just general incompetence. I'd say the package got misdelivered (and people love to open mail that's not theirs), but if it happened the other way around I'd be curious as well.

It can't hurt to ask, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

...and good luck trying to get the PO to actually pay you back - even though you purchased insurance. And they wonder why mail volume is down :rolleyes:

5. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Well I purchased insurance and the tracking from Dec 17 still shows it was at the post office, so I can't imagine them refusing to pay me back. Right?

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

You waited 3 months to investigate? I'm assuming you reimbursed your buyer...

7. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Also, this post office is in a city, and to say the least, the people that work there are rude and incompetent. :rolleyes:

8. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I am sure the CIA is checking your stuff for drugs :D

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Just a tip (and not a flame): I often send stuff in its original box, but I wrap the box in paper so that it's not apparent what it is. It saves having to hunt down a box that's about the right size, and still provides a form of security.

As for the issue itself, what a nightmare :(