is the power cable fried?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iOrlando, Sep 1, 2009.

1. iOrlando macrumors 68000

i have 2wire router and apple express. Last night they were fine.

This morning the 2 wire has no lights on it (even though it remained plugged in and noone used it). hence apple express is now useless.

does this problem seem like a problem with the 2wire power cable?

2. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I take it you have unplugged it, re-plugged it, etc...

Can you plug your DSL/Cable Modem ethernet directly into the Apple Express.

The only thing you would lose is the wired connections from the 2Wire.

edit: Are they plugged into the same power socket or power strip?

3. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

yes i replugged it and unplugged the 2wire

so you are saying connect the ethernet cord that is connected to the computer to the airport express?

but how would the airport express work? its not picking up any signal or att service. the entire 2wire is dead (dead as in no power to the unit...dont see how the device itself just died overnight without any interruption).

4. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Ok, First: what Kind of internet service do you have?

DSL?

Is the 2Wire also the DSL Modem or is there a separate box that the is plugged into the wall first? (I have a little Motorola box before the router.)

Do you have internet on the computer now?

If so, do you need wireless connectivity for a laptop or some other device? If not, don't worry about it.

5. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

i have dsl through att.

i have a cord from my dial up wall plug into the 2 wire router/modem. I then have ethernet cord from the 2 wire to the back of my computer and have mac wirelessly connected (the airport express is simply used as a wireless network extender).

As it stands now, my 2 wire has no power...therefore i cant get any internet connection to any computer. i was mainly wondering if it makes sense if the power cord failed overnight and i need a new power cord from radioshack or something. it just seems werid for the 2wire router/modem to just stop working overnight.

6. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I can't believe no one else has jumped in on this...

Anyway, It could be the modem or the power supply.

If you have a Radio Shak near by they could test the power supply and probably set you up with a replacement.

Have there been any thunderstorms in the area lately? Could have taken a lightening hit.

You could Contact you DSL Provider for a replacement.