Is the Pro worth the $1k more?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pistols-at-dawn, Nov 25, 2010.

1. pistols-at-dawn macrumors newbie

15-inch MacBook Pro
    $2299 + $500 for 256GB SSD

• 2.66GHz Intel Core i7
    • 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    • SuperDrive
    • 15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display
    • Backlit Keyboard

versus...

MacBook Air, 13-inch
    $1,799.00

• 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    • 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    • 256GB Flash Storage

Is the MacBook Pro worth $1000 more than the new MBA? I need a laptop for Photoshop and FC video editing, is the pro the only way to go?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

You know both of those machines are aimed at a different markets, right? The question is what you value more? Having something that's feather light and underpowered or an actual mobile workhorse?

3. nizmoz macrumors 65816

The Pro will do video editing way way faster than the AIR will ever do it in due to processing power. Put a SSD on the Pro and it will be just as fast as the Air, maybe faster. The SSD is the only reason the AIR is so fast mainly.

4. mikepro macrumors 6502

Way different machines. You will probably be better served by the MAcbook pro for what you are doing. BUT, you will also probably be better off by sticking with the stock i5 processor and saving some cash. I think the performance gain for the price of the i7 won't be worth it.

5. Cosmo M3 macrumors regular

Cosmo M3

6. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

For what you want to do, I'd go with the pro.

7. demonsavatar, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

demonsavatar macrumors regular

For video editing, you will want a stronger processor and perhaps firewire, so go for MBP. If you were even considering the MBA, you do not need an i7. The base 15" i5 model will do just fine and save you $400. The only reason to really get the i7 model is if money is not a major concern and you need the extra VRAM. But again, if you were considering the MBA, I don't think you need the extra VRAM either, or you are not completely aware of your needs.

Another tip, don't pay Apple $500 for a 256GB SSD. Upgrade it yourself and save yourself $200 unless you are allergic to doing things yourself.

8. miata macrumors 6502

9. snberk103 macrumors 603

Mac Book Air is designed for travelling and carrying around. It is well powered for it's size, but it's a "carry around over your shoulder all day" machine.

The Mac Book Pro is heftier, and has some horsepower. For most people it can replace a semi-serious desktop system (imho).

The Air is a wonderful machine, but it may not be appropriate for what you want to do with it.

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

What about the 13" MacBook Pro? Right in the middle :D

11. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

i have the pro you are looking at minus the SSD cause i find them far to much money, but its an amazing machine and for those programs you need a real power house and the 15" MBP with the i7 will not let you down.

12. snberk103 macrumors 603

Look at the weights. Listed on the Apple store tech specs pages. I have no idea what you will find, but I suspect the MBPs are heavier. I know that they are thicker.

UPDATE: I just looked. The Air is less than half the weight of the MBP. That difference is considerable, unless you are Arnie.

13. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

14. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

Go pro.

ps dont buy the stock SSD, buy a 3rd party ssd. you save like 300$

and same with ram.

15. opera57 macrumors 6502

For video editing etc you'll want the pro. But yeah as said buy an aftermarket SSD (sandforce if possible) and also aftermarket ram - both much cheaper than from Apple. [​IMG]