Is the quick battery going to be a HUGE problem?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rxl125, Jul 9, 2008.

1. rxl125 macrumors regular

Battery, battery, battery... If it only last 4.5 to 5 hours now, what will it be like in a few months??? Not good.

2. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Yeah, 5 -6 hrs is on a fresh new battery, once the battery gets some miles on it, that's going to drop the life down..

Maybe when it's not being used it can be put in the freezer to prolong battery life?

Seriously though, it is a concern, because there's been a handful of times where my current iPhone has just shut off because of the battery.. Just this morning I woke up to a dead iPhone battery, I must have left it on overnight, currently charging it on my desk as I type...

3. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Oh Well Apple will think of something and issue a software update that has better power managment!

4. rxl125 thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't have that great of battery luck with the 2 iphones I had. I know I'll get people who say I got days off the battery. Yeah if you don't use it, you'll get days.

5. rxl125 thread starter macrumors regular

I'd like to see that...

6. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Yeah, the only time I could go a day or 2 without charging was if the use was down to a minimum.. received 2 or 3 phone calls and no web surfing, etc,etc...

7. Ollywood macrumors member

I've got the P990i and if I use it all day looking at emails, sending emails and browsing the internet I can hardly get a days worth of battery use. So it's no surprise that it will struggle to get a days worth they are all pretty similar in terms of battery life. And I have had my phone for over a year and half and battery is still fine. Can't wait to upgrade to the iPhone

8. rxl125 thread starter macrumors regular

CBS radio mentions cheaper price but also mentions battery life in their update.

9. Nicholie macrumors regular

The news on the battery life is disappointing, but not fatal or unexpected. When your dealing with a phone this powerful (quad band for christ sake), its going to be a tad power hungry.

Some management by the consumer is going to be necessary. Tho i would love if it was user replaceable.

10. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

This is one of the trade-offs. Last year when the iPhone wasn't 3g everyone was upset with Apple. Steve even came out publicly and said that the 3g chipsets weren't integrated enough or capable of handling power management more efficiently. A lot of people were upset, and said let them be the ones to dictate their own usage scenarios and manage it own their own.

Fast forward to this year, and I'm sure the iPhone 3g has a better 3g radio than whatever was available at the time for the previous iPhone; but now the argument is battery life is going to suck! You can't please all people all of the time. :)

11. randomusername macrumors 6502

You all know that you can turn off 3G if the battery is going to be a problem? I'm guessing the people who reviewed the iphone all were in 3G areas.

12. viggen61 macrumors 6502

Agreed! I'm sure we'll all be able to get a bit better battery life by shutting off the "frills" when we're not actively using them. You don't need the 3G radio to be active, or the GPS if its in your pocket or backpack or briefcase. Just like your laptop, the best power management happens when the user takes active control.

And yes, I know that the 3G audio is better, but one can always call the party back using all your rollover minutes!

:apple::apple:

13. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

FWIW, my PPC-6700 (3g Windows Mobile Smartphone on Sprint) barely made it from morning to 8pm without being charged, on a new battery, with minimal browsing usage, hourly email checking, and no calls. Making a half hour call or so meant I had to charge around 6pm. From my perspective, it sounds like you can actually use the iPhone longer before charging.

14. franzmueller macrumors regular

:D I won´t have any problem with the batterie life of my iphone .... here in the south of Spain where I live the 3G coverage is 0 :p so unless I go to one of the main big cities ( like Madrid or Barcelona ) I can have the G3 disabled ... also GPS is useless so .... my batterie will last weeks :cool:

Saludos