Is the RAM transferrable form 2010 to 2009 MBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tonyyvo, Aug 27, 2010.

1. tonyyvo macrumors member

My GF bought her MacBook Pro earlier this year (February 2010) and I believe her model is the "mid-2009" model. I just bought my MacBook Pro 2 days ago (woohoo!) Both are 13 inch. Question is if I was to upgrade my RAM to 8GB, could I use my old 4gb RAM to replace her 2GB RAM? Thanks in advance!:)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Yes, I'm positive those both use DDR3 memory. For future reference, just go to about this mac, and it will tell you the speed, just in case. If they match, you'll be free to switch memory!
    Like this:
    In this case, mine has 4GB (2x2GB) of 1067MHz DDR3 (I have a mid 2009 13")

Attached Files:

4. tonyyvo thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the fast reply! cool ill double check the speeds of the RAM once i actually turn on my MBP (still waiting for my Spec case to come in!!) Any reference where I can find a hot deal for 8gb RAM? =D

5. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Newegg.com or Amazon tend to be the best in my opinion.

6. tonyyvo thread starter macrumors member

7. davidlv macrumors 65816

Why would you wait for your Spec case before you turn on the computer for the first time? Especially if you are going to upgrade the RAM? You have to open the back of the machine - 10 small #00 Philips-head screws - and you can't do that with the Spec case attached. :confused:

8. tonyyvo thread starter macrumors member

Well I'm waiting for my case because like any new toy I have I want to protect it before even opening it. I'm not getting my ram in anytime soon. Spec case is suppose to come in today so I figured I can have a little patience before opening my MBP. Thanks for your concern though.