Is the Retina display currently usable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 2Turbo, Jun 11, 2012.

1. 2Turbo macrumors 6502

2Turbo

What I can't figure out is how everything not designed for a large resolution will look?

I use custom icons, docks, wallpapers. Can I simply revert the resolution back to more normal until these things are updated for higher res?

So does 1080p video look better or worse since it would be upscaled to 2880 or whatever? What about dvd video, will it look worse than lower res screens?

Basically worried most stuff will look horrible on this screen....

I'm really lost here, need some help. :(

2. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

I just posted this in my own thread but this might answer your questions.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5996/how-the-retina-display-macbook-pro-handles-scaling

3. 2Turbo thread starter macrumors 6502

2Turbo

thx, so what im trying to figure out is with the scaling setting will it look at least as good as it did on a last gen mbp?

4. 2Turbo thread starter macrumors 6502

2Turbo

5. fancymichael macrumors newbie

I was wondering about the icons and dock backgrounds as well, I'm an avid CandyBar user.
    The icons in Finder are all 512px icons scaled down to their respective sizes, so unless you keep your dock icons at larger than 256px they'll look fine on the retina display. The dock may be a little different, you might have to use dock backgrounds and indicators made at twice the resolution or keep your dock fairly small for them to stay as crisp.

I can't testify for the questions about the video though, Just think of a 480p video on a retina display iPhone. I assume it'd be about the same.

6. 2Turbo thread starter macrumors 6502

2Turbo

Yup! I use CandyBar, Obsidian Menubar, SilentNight iTunes, Minimalistic Traffic Lights, TotalFinder, etc. Really killer setup, but worried how well it will look on this new screen. :(