Price Advice Is the Retina Macbook THAT much light than the regular 15" Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iLikeTurtles!, Jun 22, 2012.

1. iLikeTurtles!, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2012

iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I own a top of the line anti glare 15" macbook pro.

One of the things I was never a fan of was the weight. I love the power it offers but treking across the university compus aint fun with this and books.

I'm considering selling this and putting that towards a retina macbook.

One of the reasons i like it was it was a powerful notebook but is also thinner.

A big factor in my decision is if its that much lighter than the regular macbook.

Is it that much lighter?

I think im gonna sell my 2011 macbook pro 15" for 1650. its 2.0ghz i7 quad core, 4gb ram, upgrade intel 520 series 120 SSD, anti glare high res plus accesories, speck hard shell, moshi palmgaurd/cleargaurd covers .

The computer is MINT and can pass as brand new aestecically.

do you guys think thats a good price?

Anyways those are my 2 questions.

Thanks!

2. eric18 macrumors member

In regards to the weight, I updated from a 2009 15-inch MacBook Pro and I can definitely feel a big difference, especially since I have to carry it around all day.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

are the specs including weight not list on apple website?

4. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

5. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

When your at that low of a weight to begin with a pound can make a big difference.

6. marddin macrumors 6502

Approx. 1.14lbs lighter. If "much" is 1lb for you then yes, it is that much lighter.

I'd say that is a tad on the high end, but its up to you.

7. iLikeTurtles! thread starter macrumors 6502

wasnt asking specs, just if its feels to the average person that much lighter

throw me a bone here

----------

even with all the ugrades and included accesories?

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

If you've ever held a 13" MBP, the 15" Retina is a hair lighter than that.

9. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I found it hard to believe so I went and checked, and you're right, the Retina 15" is .06 pounds lighter than the 13" MBP. I owned both a 13" MBP and 15" MBP and you can definitely feel the difference in a backpack. Good to know.

10. monkthehonk macrumors member

yeah i would say it's significantly lighter/thinner

11. Sheppard macrumors member

Quite a bit lighter

Okay in percentage terms, the retina is just over 20% lighter from the weights posted above.

So yes, that is a fair bit lighter considering what you receive in return IMO.

12. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

I have only had it a few days and i refuse to let it leave the house until my sleeve gets here but i tend to suffer from back pain when i have to carry heavy stuff in my messenger bag.

With my 5.6 pound MBP after 2-3 days i would start to feel some pain, with my 2.9 pound MBA no problem at all.

Here is hoping that in fact the 1.1 pound difference is significant for me :)

13. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

If we just do the math on the weight:
    4.46/5.6=0.796

The new laptop weighs 80% what the old one did - or rather it is 20% lighter. Cutting down the weight 20% while increasing performance in the way they have is nothing short of substantial.

There are not many products that are already reasonably light that ever shave 20% off of their weight in one revision. Everyone thought the iPad 2 was WAY lighter than the iPad, but the iPad 2 was only 12% lighter. I think this illustrates the point that the 20% reduction with the RMBP is a significant improvement.

14. molingrad macrumors member

It's lighter but it's not really close to the Air. Somewhere inbetween air and old Mbp leaning strongly towards pro.

15. DaveOZ macrumors regular

I cycle to work with my laptop. I have lots of hills to ride up and I keep my gear in panniers. 17" is hard work. 11" is like its not there but the screen was a bit small for me. 15" was bearable. The new r15" is noticeable lighter than the normal 15". People pay big money to lose 0.5kg off their bike.

I've finally found laptop nirvana, light enough to carry on my bike, big enough screen for all my work and boy is it fast. :D

I should add that I can safely pick the retina up with one hand while open and carry it around.

16. iLikeTurtles! thread starter macrumors 6502

do u think my asking price for my 2011 macbook is fair?