Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quikeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Hey there,
I'm about to buy a new macbook for college this month and I'm still thinking what to choose.

I have normal uses (school, movies, internet, photos etc)

My question is if The retina is really worth the money or MacBook Air would be fine for me? Cuz as i see it, MacBook Air is enough for my uses.

Thanks

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
Hey there,
I'm about to buy a new macbook for college this month and I'm still thinking what to choose.

My question is if The retina is really worth the money or MacBook Air would be fine for me? Cuz as i see it, MacBook Air is enough for my uses.

Thanks

YMMV, why don't you go try one out at the store and see if you enjoy it enough to make up your mind.... What other people think doesn't really matter.

nikusak

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2014
Hey there,

If possible, go to some store where you can compare both side by side. Open the same apps, web pages etc. to see if it makes a difference for you. You can also get a feel about the weight difference when seeing both "live".

The price difference between the base retina MBP and Air is not much if you go for 8GB ram in the Air, which probably isn't a bad idea for future proofing.

I personally don't have a Mac at the moment. I can't decide which MacBook to get, so I'll just wait a bit. But it will have a retina display, this iPad Air display has spoilt me...

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
Hey there,

Thanks

Sometimes I forget why I paid so much for a rMBP when don't need the power, then I look at a non retina screen and I remember. For photos it really shines, it's like looking at a high quality printed image.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Worth is a subjective term. I think many people here believe the current laptops are worth the price, that includes a great screen fast SSD and fast CPU/GPU.

I'd say in my case it is.

Quikeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I saw it live... I would say that 10 mins is not enough to decide.

That's why I'm asking it here.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

If you are still undecided then perhaps that's your answer in that the rMBP is not the right choice for you

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012

110% it is worth it !! But yes apple products tend to be on the expensive side. But the value for money is pretty much best as it can get. If you like your display to be the best. Retina MBP are the best money can buy coupled with the Apple MAC OS X and with some fantastic APPS being made available daily I think it is well worth the Price. If you can afford it. Go for it Blindly !! :apple:

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
I have a 2014 13" MacBook Air and a 2013 Macbook Pro Retina 13". I find the screen on the Air to be just fine at normal distances. If fact I found it surprisingly good. The Retina 13" MBP definitely is a superb screen. Is it worth the extra money on a tight budget? I would say no. If you have the extra money then I would go for the retina.

Quikeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I have a 2014 13" MacBook Air and a 2013 Macbook Pro Retina 13". I find the screen on the Air to be just fine at normal distances. If fact I found it surprisingly good. The Retina 13" MBP definitely is a superb screen. Is it worth the extra money on a tight budget? I would say no. If you have the extra money then I would go for the retina.

You have 4gb ram on ur MBA ? Is it working well with normal uses like mine?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
wait for the 12" Retina MBA that will replace the 11" and 13" current MBAs. I imagine we will see that come October.

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Gotta say, it's a stunning screen, I'd recommend it but I suppose it's different, people might prefer better specs over a screen.

Absolutely. After 2 weeks with a Retina I could never go back.

True that, but if you never use one then you'll never have to spend the extra cash! :D

wait for the 12" Retina MBA that will replace the 11" and 13" current MBAs. I imagine we will see that come October.

Wait for the 10GB RAM 1TB iPhone 8 too coming out in 2 years, it's gonna be great.

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
I can speak for myself only. I am on a 13" cMBP that I picked up this spring after my previous machine died leaving me in a position where I needed a laptop on a tight budget.

The choice for me was relatively easy, as the combination of price, user upgradability, ports, and IR receiver gave me everything I needed plus the potential to have what I wanted. The only real loss was the retina display. It'll be a while before I miss the ac wireless.

After being perfectly content wit the resolution and pixel density on my 2008 MB, I knew I would be fine without the retina display. I haven't been spoiled by it yet, and it will be several more years before I am.

As far as the ram, I can say that 4gb will be fine for your uses. 4gb is fine for my uses, unless i need to run a virtual machine, but then the biggest limitation was my old spinning hdd (unbelievable what an ssd will do in this case). With some heavier multitasking, you will find that you start paging out a little, but it won't be show stopping on either the Air or the MBPr. Going to 8gb does give you some flexibility now and in the future, especially if you want to run a virtual machine for windows, however it will be overkill for you normal usage. After swapping out one of my 2gb ram sticks for an 8gb ram stick, I can run a windows vm in virtualbox with 4gb ram dedicated and my ram pressure only hits about 55%.

While the base models are fully capable, I would recommend, if budget allows bumping to 256GB of storage, if you like to keep around a sizable chunk of media, or you are required to work with sizable data sets that you want to take on the go. Next, bump the ram to 8gb, but only if you feel confident your usage may change and/or you plan to keep the machine for a long period of time.

Good luck in your choice. Either machine will be spectacular, and serve you well. As a final statement, you can't miss what you don't have ;)

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
I just came from a cMBP (Mid 2011) that had been upgraded to 8GB of RAM with a Samsung 840 SSD. Very nice machine.

Now I am on a rMBP Mid 2014. Both 13" units.

I have to say when I went back to the 2011 machine, I thought something had gone wrong with the screen. The retina is much brighter, clearer and easier on the eyes.

I would say that a 13" with the best specs you can afford is a very good move. BUT, it all depends on your daily need, and what your long term plans are for buying your "next" machine.

R

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP asked above:
[[ My question is if The retina is really worth the money or MacBook Air would be fine for me? Cuz as i see it, MacBook Air is enough for my uses. ]]

The MBAir might seem like "enough" today, but what about three or four years "down the line"?

The real advantages of the MBPros (even the non-retina version) are higher-powered CPUs and more connection capabilities.

Buying an MBAir will "lock you down" insofar as power and connectivity are concerned.

In my opinion, even the non-retina MacBook Pro is a better buy...

malandra

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2003
I have no need for the processing power of a rMBP, but the screen was a deal maker for me. So wonderful for text.

Of course it's completely ruined me, and all external monitors look like crap now.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Nobody can tell you whether it will be worth it to you; we can only tell you whether it is worth it to us. It really depends on your budget, and/or how much you value other factors like replaceable battery, upgradeable RAM, optical drive, ethernet, etc. Since you're considering an Air, I'm guessing the latter considerations are not a factor.

Speaking for myself, the Retina screen is not at all worth the extra cost or the loss of features listed above to me.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Yes it's worth it. And I wouldn't put a lot of stock in a retina 12in this year. I think that will a be mid 2015 product at best.

andreas.muck

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2014
I am using a 13" MacBook Air for work and it's great! The screen looks great and the resolution is high enough so you don't get bothered by the visible pixels.

Sure, the retina display is gorgeous, but it's not necessary for working. I would compare everything else (ram, size, weight, battery duration) before worrying about retina vs. non-retina display. Both the airs and and retina displays are great for work and every day use.

The only advantage I see on retina is if you do a lot of reading with small fonts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.