Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lucagfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Hello everybody. it is time to move from the PC world to Mac world and my idea is to buy a 24' iMac with the 2,8 Ghz CPU. Is the right time to buy an iMac
or is it better to wait for new models? I know that is impossible to know when the new iMac will be announced but before making my order I would like to receive your advice. thanks a lot.

Luca

P.S. sorry for my bad english!! :(

alex000it

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2008
Italy
A few days ago I had the same problem...
I decided to wait for the new :apple: models.
You have to decide... if you really need it then buy it now.
If you dont need it just now, simply wait. :eek:

The Hammer

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I hear the new models MAY be announced at Macworld San Francisco 2009 in January. But then again there has been some mention of October 2008, so who knows.

BennyK

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Appleton, WI
Just buy now, they always go out of date so fast. I bought mine last August or Sept and they had one speed bump since. I would guess early next year they will upgrade or speed bump the iMac line. Anyways get it now, they are awesome now. I love mine.

Lucagfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
It would be interesting to understand if apple will be released a new model or just a hardware upgrade. I do not have an immediate need for 'iMac now but I like to buy it as soon as possible. Although take immediately and then have substantial changes in a short time would not be a good thing

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
It would be interesting to understand if we released a new model or just a hardware upgrade. I do not have an immediate need for 'iMac now but I like to buy it as soon as possible. Although take immediately and then have substantial changes in a short time would not be a good thing

I would wait for the OCT 14TH event to pass and see what happens.

Lucagfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
I think that is very difficult that the news iMac to contain a BD drive.

Duality

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2008
I would wait for the OCT 14TH event to pass and see what happens.

If I may... This is a huge problem though, for myself and others too I'm sure.

You wait a month or two until October... Then they're updated and you get a new one *or* they're not.

Let's say they aren't... What happens then? Well we know there's an event in January 2009, which is only about 2 months on past October, so why not wait for that? After all, we're pretty much *sure* something big will happen then...

What if by some weird fluke they aren't updated then though? Or they are, but don't have something like Blu-Ray and the user wants that? Surely rumors will fly around saying Blu-Ray is on the horizon... Just wait a bit longer....!!

Argh! After a while, you've waited 6 months, a year, forever even!

At the moment, I'd say *don't* buy a Macbook, at least not unless it's a Pro because frankly I think their design is almost timeless. However for anything else, it's a huge P.I.T.A. waiting for so long. Anyway, even if you do wait, something else you want *will* be on the horizon when you go to buy it, that's the way Apple and many other companies work. They keep putting things in so that you have to keep buying new ones!

A bit of a rant there, but it's something that's driving me insane at the moment, because I don't want to wait but I feel obligated. I think I'm going to just bite the bullet and get an Alu 24" iMac as soon as this damn credit card arrives. They look incredible anyway.

Abandapart82

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2008
I was in a similar situation but decided to just go for it. It's always a good idea to consider your computing needs before any kind of computer purchase, for me it was simple. If I get one now how much better will the next one be? The answer is not that much, my iMac is going to be mainly used for internet, email, some light podcasting/video editing and other little things. Will the next iMac really do all those things that much better? Probably not, but if you are like some people who have to have the latest and greatest then you should probably wait.

FoxHoundADAM

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Oklahoma
I'm in the same boat. the wife and are are thinking about getting an iMac for ourselfs as our Christmas gift to each other but if nothing happens at the Oct. 14 event we might just wait until MacWorld.

Problem is my 7 year old Dell 8200 is on it's last legs. It's still chugging along but it has a hard time keeping up these days. Thanksfully I have everything saved on my extra HDD for the day it's time comes.

I'd like to see a slight price drop plus a better graphics card. I'm sure HDD will get a bump plus a monir bump in CPU but really the graphics card is what's holding me back now.

Lucagfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
If I may... This is a huge problem though, for myself and others too I'm sure.

You wait a month or two until October... Then they're updated and you get a new one *or* they're not.

Let's say they aren't... What happens then? Well we know there's an event in January 2009, which is only about 2 months on past October, so why not wait for that? After all, we're pretty much *sure* something big will happen then...

What if by some weird fluke they aren't updated then though? Or they are, but don't have something like Blu-Ray and the user wants that? Surely rumors will fly around saying Blu-Ray is on the horizon... Just wait a bit longer....!!

Argh! After a while, you've waited 6 months, a year, forever even!

At the moment, I'd say *don't* buy a Macbook, at least not unless it's a Pro because frankly I think their design is almost timeless. However for anything else, it's a huge P.I.T.A. waiting for so long. Anyway, even if you do wait, something else you want *will* be on the horizon when you go to buy it, that's the way Apple and many other companies work. They keep putting things in so that you have to keep buying new ones!

A bit of a rant there, but it's something that's driving me insane at the moment, because I don't want to wait but I feel obligated. I think I'm going to just bite the bullet and get an Alu 24" iMac as soon as this damn credit card arrives. They look incredible anyway.

You and many other people advised me not to wait but are just a few days to October 14 it may wait until 14? Surely if Oct. 14 are not updated then buy my iMac but I would understand if it is better to wait until 14

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.