Is the rMBP 13' a good replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gerlof92, Sep 5, 2015.

1. gerlof92 macrumors newbie

Hi!

Typing this on a 2011 Macbook pro 15'. Still going strong but I might be looking at an update regarding weight and a retina display. I mostly use my MBP for studying, emailing, FCP, using statistical programs and often use windows in parallels for programming and I am a real "multitasker". Most of the time I have 6 apps open, 3 or 4 pdf's and many tabs in safari.

So my question is, what do you guys think about going from a quad core i7 to a dual core i5 for the FCP, programming and using it a lot? Will I notice a difference, or maybe notice difference in a negative way?

Thanks!

Greets Gerlof

2. Dj64Mk7 macrumors 6502a

While I cannot speak for the performance aspect, I can tell you that weight and display are both better.

Whereas your current MacBook weighs 5.6 pounds, the 13" retina weighs only 3.48 pounds.
    Your current MacBook has a maximum screen resolution of 1440x900, while the 13" retina can scale to that resolution, and up one higher to 1680x1050.
    The battery life would also be noticeably better, with up to 10 hours on the 13" retina.

Out of curiosity, have you taken a look at either the 13" MacBook Air? (if you aren't too worried about the display)
    Or, have you thought about getting the 15" retina MacBook Pro? (if you want a better machine in every category)

3. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

No. The dual core i5 in the current gen 13" rMBP is probably better performer than the ancient i7 in your current 15" MBP.

Current 13" rMBP is lighter, faster and has a lot better display. Not to mention the other cool stuff like super fast SSD's, latest WiFi and Bluetooth technologies and the new Force Touch trackpad.

4. gerlof92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yes, of course haha. The air I like a lot because it is so light and slim, but for me it lacks the power and retina screen. The 15" would be a very good one. But the price also confirms that.

5. Dj64Mk7 macrumors 6502a

Great! You should definitely go with the 13" retina MBP. I will now leave the performance aspect up to other forum members.

---

Actually, could someone take this opportunity to educate me about how processor power equates between models and generations, please? (not to hijack the thread or anything)