Is the rMBP (13-inches) worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FooArk, Aug 17, 2013.

1. FooArk macrumors 6502

Is retina all that on just a 13-inch screen? I have a 15-inch MBP now and im not sure if I'd want to lose the screen real estate

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Definitely. If you have an Apple store nearby, go check them out and compare. I actually prefer the 13-inch to the 15. But yes, Retina looks beautiful. 13 inches is a good size.

3. B... macrumors 68000

B...

"Worth" is completely subjective. It may or may not be for you, but it is for me since I value portability.

4. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

It is for me…….and to me looks slightly better than the 15" to me as well.

5. mlsusa macrumors regular

I assume you mean the non-retina 15", whose native resolution is 1440x900 by default and you can pay extra to go 1680x1050. The 13" rMBP supports these resolutions so you won't lose any screen real estate.

And yes the retina is, for me, all that. I think you'll be very happy if you just go ahead and order one but you can also visit an Apple Store, Best Buy, or whatever's near you to see for yourself before deciding.

6. Akack macrumors 6502a

Only you can decide that. If you don't see the crispness of the retina screen after playing with one in the store then no the rMBP is not worth it.

I had a 2011 15"MBP and last week I spent some time playing with the rMBP at the Apple Store and now proud owner of a new 15"rMBP.....the screen imo is worth it.

7. FooArk thread starter macrumors 6502

Are the speculated updates supposed to benefit the 13-inch much?

8. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Put it this way... Iris will do more for the 13" MBP than it will for the 15". :D

Seriously. If the MBP15 loses the dGPU for the 5200, then the 13" becomes much more attractive in my opinion (at least on price).

9. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Yes. Big-time. It will be a bigger update for the 13 than the 15.

10. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

I personally wouldn't even think about purchasing a 13in rMBP. Simply because there is no Discrete GPU and when I purchase a "Pro" machine, I expect far more GPU capabilities then just an Intel HD 4000 on board. Just my personal preference. If people are looking for portability, then your looking at the wrong model. The MBA is better suited for that. If the 13in price was a little cheaper, then maybe i would consider just for pricing, but truly I would never go with the 13in. I have the 15in and would never trade it in for anything.

11. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

It all depends on what you would use the GPU for... LOL, You already have a 15" rMBP. Why are you obsessed against the 13" rMBP? :D

12. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

Look at the two screens, and you'll know immediately. There's little that the non-retina screen has to offer in terms of display quality when compared to either rMBP. I bought a 13" rMBP about 6 weeks ago, and wanted to the non-retina as well because I would have had $200 in discounts. No way, Jose. I just can't go back. :D

13. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

I use the Discrete card for a lot of applications. Final Cut, Logic, Gaming, not to mention the 13in has only a dual core, where as the 15in has a quad core. Yes i understand you can upgrade the CPU but you would just go with the 15in as its almost the same price point at that rate. It just a better value for me for what I'm doing. I have nothing against the 13in, its just not for me.

14. PDFierro macrumors 68040

And what about when they drop the discrete GPU in the 15-inch and offer up the 5100 in the 13 and 5200 in the 15?

15. FooArk thread starter macrumors 6502

16. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

They might indeed happen, who knows. Personally I don't see Apple dropping the discrete cards just yet. Intel is making great advances on the GPU side of things, so once things get tightened up within the next couple years, then yes that indeed is likely the future. But for now, Im not worried. Iris Pro is almost the GT 650M and thats Nvidias last years hardware, so like I said intel needs a couple years to catch pace, then hopefully move ahead. If it got to the point where I didn't think it was worth it, I would look elsewhere.

17. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I use Final Cut on my 13" rMBP with no issues at all (its "only" a dual core i7 3.0 though) :rolleyes:, I have a PC/PS3/WiiU for gaming. There are plenty of ways the 13" is fine for what it is,

Video editing isn't very demanding on a video card, hell studio caliber editing apps don't require much more than a intel iGPU.

It all depends on what you do, but unless you're going to need the dGPU power the 13" is fine for most people. Don't let biased folks that really have no clue what needs what sway your opinions.

Determine what your real needs are and do some research if they would benefit from the dGPU or if the 13" would be fine as is, you'd be surprised how well things can run when you stop listening to biased forum fanboys and look in to it on your own.

18. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

I find your post very interesting. Clearly you think I'm just a forum fanboy and I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I must assure you, I do know what I'm talking about. You're first line is the most hilarious to me. "Video editing isn't very demanding on a video card," Clearly you must not video edit at all, or know how to. Video Editing, especially 1080p is one of the most demanding tasks you can throw at this machine. Granted you can throw a lot at it, but GPU wise, it really does take a toll. I didn't say the 13in rMBP couldn't handle these tasks, but the Discrete card in the 15in is specifically included for these reasons. Speaking of Gaming, your reference to gaming had literally nothing to do with computers. You simply put that you have consoles as your gaming devices, and thats fine, however that does not solve what we were discussing about. You mention that the 13in is fine for what it is. Yes, the HD 4000 is capable of doing some moderate 3D gaming, but why spend that kind of money, and not even be able to play some demanding games? Diablo 3 cant run at all on Retina Res without a discrete card unless you want to play at 10 FPS, so you're not even taking advantage of that beautiful Retina Display which is why you even consider this machine in the first place. Just seems not worth that kind of money to me. Granted, MacBooks in general aren't designed or Gaming, but they are still able to pack enough of a punch to make it worth it for most people. I do understand that most people wont be able to use all of the horsepower the 15in has, and thats understandable and they would rather have something beautiful but a bit more portable. The sad part is, people will buy anything regardless of specs or cost no matter what you tell them.

19. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Clearly you just like overkill, video editing is not GPU intensive its more demanding on the CPU, regardless im done trying to argue with a baseless fan boy forum troll.

Graphics card: NVIDIA Quadro FX family3 (Q600 or higher recommended), Intel HD4000

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Media-Composer#specifications

Intel 4k is fine for those, and I would consider Avid products a step above FCP and is far more used in the industry compared to FCP. But I suppose the makers of the most widely used real time and post editing software and hardware have no clue about editing like you do right? :rolleyes:

20. New2MacOS macrumors member

To me, the 13 rMBP is worth the purchase. I do own the 15 rMBP for the office, but I do not lug that around. I like the portability of the 13 rMBP--it is only 0.5 lb heavier than the 13 MBA (that I owned for a couple of weeks), and it has the retina display.

21. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

Thanks for your post however Im not going to continue to waste my breath for someone who will just never understand or learn.

22. iPoopeh macrumors regular

iPoopeh

All depends on what you use your rMBP for. To me, a 13" rMBP is a bit too small for me, 2" does make a difference when it comes to art. However, a lot of happy rMBP owners have a 13", & they think it is more than enough. :)

23. yliu macrumors regular

HD 4000 struggles with the retina display. Maybe the Haswell chip will be better.