is the rMBP 15" 2012 for $450 a good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by new2oranges, Oct 3, 2016.

1. new2oranges macrumors newbie

Hi guys, posted this somewhere else but I guess I should've posted here lol.
    My work place is getting rid of their macbooks for upgrades and offered to sell them to us employees before dumping it to an op shop.
    They have a couple rMBP 15" 2012 for $450 and a few 2009 27" imac's for $350 (not interested in them though).

I was wondering if the macbook was still worth this price considering there is a refresh coming soon?
    Will the price drop further on these? I have about 2 weeks to decide.

thanks!

2. max.ine macrumors regular

It is a very reasonable price for the 2012 model. As long as you're OK with the dated specifications, I see no problem in buying it.

If possible, you should make sure it works properly before going through with anything.

3. new2oranges thread starter macrumors newbie

I've used these exact models at my workplace. While I do care about speed, these feel the same to my friends rMBP 2015 speed wise for things like browsing the web and using word.

Just wondering, can these play games like overwatch or dota 2?

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Play, yes.

Smooth 30fps at max resolution/textures/antialiasing on, no. So be modest with the graphics settings. :)

5. petisjioweelsha macrumors member

I'm in the process of trying to familiarize myself with the used Mac landscape. So, I may not know what I'm talking about here...
    But, according to the historical pricing data by BidVoy, the 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro has an average price of $825.65

EDIT: typos.

6. eddjedi macrumors regular

Sounds like a good deal. I almost always buy my Macs second hand, have only bought a couple new. My advice is check geekbench performance scores:

https://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

Find the one you want to buy on there, and just check it is still reasonably competent compared to the more recent models. The mid-2013 i7 Macbook Air I just bought is only a fraction slower than the most recent 2015 model, and significantly faster than the latest 2016 Macbook. It was almost half the cost of either, so was a no brainer.

7. magbarn macrumors 68000

The biggest problem with the 2012 rmbp 15 is the potential dgpu issue that Apple will stop fixing soon for free. The only other big difference is battery life as the ivy bridge CPU and 650M isn't much slower than the 3 year old haswell CPU and 4 year old rebranded m370x dgpu in the latest rmbp15 model.

8. Essenar macrumors 6502a

16GB or 8GB for memory? If it's the latter, it's not much of a deal. However, if it's the former, you could easily resell them for $900 so yeah they're a good deal.
    Keep in mind, the Retina 15" from 2012 didn't have a different GPU depending on which model you got, unlike the non Retina 15" MBP. The Retina 15" from 2012 could also have its storage upgraded because it used a standard PCI-Express SSD and not some weird custom one like the newer ones do.
    The ram is the only aspect that cannot be upgraded afterward.
    This is the reason why there's a huge difference in aftermarket value between the 15" Retina 2012. the models going for dirt cheap are 8GB ram models.

9. new2oranges, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016

new2oranges thread starter macrumors newbie

All the retina macbooks have 8GB ram for the memory. Could you explain why its not much of a deal? I thought all the 2012 retina models have the same GPU so there isnt as big of a price discrepancy between the models. Does ram and extra 250 gigs of memory really affect the pricing by that much? (i.e. in this case is the extra ram and memory really worth more than $500?)

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No it's a terrible deal ;-)

So where is this place again???