Is the rMBP config a viable desktop replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by testudoaubreii, Jun 26, 2015.

1. testudoaubreii macrumors member

Apr 14, 2014

I am in the market for a laptop, but as I was looking at various configurations and I am wondering if this is a viable config for a desktop:

i7 4870HQ 2.5 GHz
    16GB 1600 MHz
    512GB SSD
    750m 2GB

I was going to get a desktop and a laptop, but I am trying to keep everything for work, i.e. files and such, together. I am a web developer/graphic designer and I dabble in light video editing. I will be using various Adobe CC apps, multiple browsers and tabs, creating billboard size projects at times and light video editing...most of the stuff running at the same time. I will also be using it for simple tasks, such as web browsing, email, shopping and streaming video from Netflix and from a local home network server.

I was thinking if this configuration is good as a desktop replacement, I am just going to go for it.

Thank you in advance for all of your responses, advice and help!
  2. Vermifuge macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2009
    I just wish the MBP allowed for 32 GB of ram
  3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Jun 1, 2011
    Cimmerian End

This sounds kind of overkill for what you're going to be doing.
  4. nStyle macrumors 65816

Dec 6, 2009
    Video editing is the only thing you really need a beefy computer for these days, and for "light" video editing, I agree with Dark Void.

Of course most people use their MBP's as a desktop replacement. But I would also think most rely on an external display/peripherals as well so it's not always a cramped experience.
  5. khabboub macrumors member

Mar 30, 2014
    I have a late 2013 model with the dgpu, and i use my rmbp as a desktop replacement at home.

its powerful enough, and fast enough. in the day time when I'm at school, i just unplug it and take it with me, and then when i get home, i have it connected to a 4k monitor at home in clam shell mode.

you'll want to get a wireless keyboard, speaker, and mouse.
  6. SDAVE macrumors 68040

Jun 16, 2007
    Ugh i just hate plugging into the Thunderbolt port.

I ruined one of my MBPs ports due to plugging all the time. Wish Apple used MagSafe for the monitor too.
  7. testudoaubreii thread starter macrumors member

Apr 14, 2014
    Thank you for the replies! That is what I wanted to know. I will be using it in clamshell mode with 2 external monitors.

@SDAVE: That doesn't sound good. Now, I am a little worried because I will be taking it back and forth from school and work and then back home.
  8. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

Feb 7, 2013
    I bought that exact model and a thunderbolt display to replace an iMac. It's doing a great job at it.
  9. jlc1978, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015

jlc1978 macrumors 68000

Aug 14, 2009
    I've used a rMBP for 3 years and have no issue with the TB port and plug and plug monitors daily. Unless you are trying to replicate a Mac Pro, which it appears you aren't, the rMBP will be fine.
  10. cambookpro macrumors 603

Feb 3, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I wouldn't worry. I plug and unplug my MBP from my TBD at least twice a day and have been doing so since 2011. Everything is fine.