Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Been keen on an Apple Watch for a while now but always put off by the cost. Anyway, my current regular watch finally packed up this week so I started looking at the S4 but at $750NZD it’s a bit too much for me to want to spend. But seeing all these Boxing Day sales coming up, most have the 42mm S3 at $400NZD vs $750NZD for the S4.

So is the really worth almost double the cost for the S4 over the S3? Would like it as a general watch and fitness tracker really, plus controlling audible and music.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The S3 feels ancient when it's compared to an S4, mainly due to the screen size and the speed. Half the price is actually justified for what you are getting.

Reactions: Azathoth123

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Been keen on an Apple Watch for a while now but always put off by the cost. Anyway, my current regular watch finally packed up this week so I started looking at the S4 but at $750NZD it’s a bit too much for me to want to spend. But seeing all these Boxing Day sales coming up, most have the 42mm S3 at $400NZD vs $750NZD for the S4.

So is the really worth almost double the cost for the S4 over the S3? Would like it as a general watch and fitness tracker really, plus controlling audible and music.

What you’re really purchasing with the Series 4, is the larger display, EKG feature and it’s the first Apple Watch with a 64-bit dual core processor, which means it’s likely to be more optimized in the future to support applications.

Where the Apple Watch really gets expensive, is the stainless model, which substantially increased in price over the years. As much as I like the stainless model, your best value for the watch is the aluminum model, which they all support the same watchOS.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
To me it is; something that you wear on your body, watches, jewelry, etc need to be the best because you interact with it continuously. ‘Best’ is of course subjective, but the improved faces, screen size, and other features do it for me.

Reactions: rugmankc

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Depends if you value the additional features the S4 has. I wanted the ECG in a major way so it was totally worth getting the S4. I also like the extra space.

Reactions: rugmankc

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
I value the screen size and use my S4 far more than I did my S3, but my vision is not what it once was. If you like the display on the 3 and wish to save money, its still very good. Try both of them together at an Apple store if you can.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I’m a runner who uses his watch out on the trails quite a bit. So a little extra speed was worth it to me. When you’re running you hate to stop one arm and hold it forward.

I don’t think the increase in screen size is worth an extra $350. I could see my 42mm Series 3 just fine. To me even the 38m screen size is adequate. On most of the watch faces, you don’t even see anything extra. Everything is just larger.

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
What you’re really purchasing with the Series 4, is the larger display, EKG feature and it’s the first Apple Watch with a 64-bit dual core processor, which means it’s likely to be more optimized in the future to support applications.

The OP is from New Zealand so if he buys it there he won’t get the EKG feature. Only available on watches purchased in the US.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
The OP is from New Zealand so if he buys it there he won’t get the EKG feature. Only available on watches purchased in the US.

Until it clears the legal hurdles to be enabled in the country of purchase.

I just ordered a 44mm Series 4 here in Japan and am confident the EKG feature will eventually be enabled here as well. All Series 4 Apple Watches have the EKG sensor.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Hard to say, but you can bet on the S4 having af least one extra year of useful life in it. I am replacing my S0 with the S4 this week. My S0 had about 2 years of good service. It was perfectly snappy on watchOS 2 and 3. On watchOS 4 it has been too slow for many functions and it can’t run watchOS 5. It still works as a fitness tracker, but only with thre 1st gen heart rate tracking. It of course displays the time, date, next calendar item, and current weather. It takes too long to open apps on the old watch or to tap on complications for more details. I use to use the Hey Siri feature a lot to set reminders, text my wife, etc. but now Siri is slow and unreliable on my watch. In short, it provides me with only some of the functionality it used to. I should have upgraded to the S3 a year ago, but I didn’t for a variety of reasons.

The S3 is now a bargain. If you aren’t sure you really want the watch, it’s a less expensive way to try it out. That said its useful life will end sooner than it will for the S4. I’m also looking forward to the slightly larger display.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I’m honestly skipping the Series 4 and will wait for the Series 5. Perfectly happy with my Series 3, does everything I need of it and hopefully by Series 5 they would have sorted out any production issues still being shown in the Series 4.

Merry Christmas by the way guys!

Reactions: sean000

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

We all gather that EKG is for the States only currently. As another poster mentioned to you, EKG will make its way to other countries eventually, thus this is still a purchasing decision when considering in upgrading.

Last edited:
Reactions: SaSaSushi

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
We all gather that EKG is for the States only currently. As another poster mentioned to you, EKG will make its way to other countries eventually, thus this is still a purchasing decision when considering in upgrading.
But in what timeframe? Always buy a device for what it has now, not what has been promised. There is a good chance most countries will not get the ECG before a Series 5 arrives or at least close to its arrival.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Yep exactly that, timeframe. We still don’t have LTE watches available in New Zealand and look how long they have been available. ECG will likely never make it here so I have discounted that.

Will get an S3 if I want to now, he cost of the S4 is just too high.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Hmmm I just went the store to get one, and while I was waiting for the sales person to finish with a lady who was there before me, that lady dropped the demo watch on the floor! Screen shattered! That was a typical store carpet floor as well.

That freaked me out enough to bail for the time being. I’ve dropped all my watches at some point before and never shattered on like that.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Hmmm I just went the store to get one, and while I was waiting for the sales person to finish with a lady who was there before me, that lady dropped the demo watch on the floor! Screen shattered! That was a typical store carpet floor as well.

That freaked me out enough to bail for the time being. I’ve dropped all my watches at some point before and never shattered on like that.

That watch must have hit the ground in just the wrong way to shatter, or the screen already had a defect. I’ve dropped my aluminum S0 a few times, and knocked it into walls and other hard object many times. After three years the display still looks perfect. Now I have the aluminum S4 and I’m hoping it will prove as durable. Unfortunately accidents will happen, and just because the watch survives one fall doesn’t mean it will survive the next. That’s why the Apple Watch is the only device I buy AppleCare+ for.

Sean

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I value the screen size and use my S4 far more than I did my S3, but my vision is not what it once was. If you like the display on the 3 and wish to save money, its still very good. Try both of them together at an Apple store if you can.

Yeah no regrets from me for upgrading my S3 to a S4. That screen increase was dramatic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.