Is the screen shots really color safe ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JakobJ, Dec 14, 2009.

1. JakobJ macrumors newbie

I'm not so sure about weather the screen shots my Mac (Mac OS X 10.5.8) really is color safe or not. Because if I compare the colors in my screen shots with the actual screen, the colors variate. Is there a way to extract a screen shot with the exact colors ?

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

If you have a glossy screen (Mac/Windows/whatever) then the colors on the screen will not be as true to real life as with a matte screen. I'm not sure of the steps professionals can take to counteract that.

3. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I'm not at my Mac now but the default format I believe is PNG which does a lot of compression. You should be able to change that if size does not matter.

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Good call. I believe there is a guide here on MR that has terminal commands for changing the default screen capture format.

5. JakobJ thread starter macrumors newbie

I assumed the same at first and changed it to bmp, but I can't say it's any better.

6. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

OS X includes your color profile in screenshots; if you open it with something such as Photoshop and save it as a JPEG ensuring that you uncheck the color profile on the Save dialog it will no longer have the color profile included.