Is the screen worth it over the weight?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by roland.g, Jun 28, 2012.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I ordered and got a 13" MBA with 8GB RAM and the stock 128 drive.

Then I went and saw the Retina. Looks very nice, though in all honestly I didn't spend much time on it.

I replaced a 4.5 lb 2008 unibody 13" MacBook with the MBA. So dropping from 4.5 lbs to 2.96 is great. And I have a 2011 quad core 2.7 27" iMac with 12GB RAM, so portability is huge. Especially since I just started grad school this month. What a shock that is going back to school again!

Anyway, I wanted feedback on whether the Retina is worth it over the MBA.
    As I see it, these are the key points.

1. I like the low weight of the MBA, but picking up the Retina didn't feel heavy, not in the way my essentially same weight unibody does.

2. I don't need the power of a quad core Retina since I have the iMac, and since I opted for an MBA with 8GB RAM.

3. I don't feel like I want the screen size or extra bulk of a 15", and that the 13" is a sweet spot.

4. I am concerned that the Retina has some great advantages, but also currently some great disadvantages with some images, etc being fuzzy and that it will take some time for the web and for apps to catch up.

5. But I wonder if I am missing out on this phenomenal screen and sacrificing too much, especially when I expect this machine to last 3-4 years.

Obviously if I order a Retina I'm looking at 3-5 weeks and I have to return my MBA by Monday, so I'll be without for a while, but I can make do.

I'm sure this has been beaten to death but maybe not, appreciate the feedback, especially from those already owning Retina MBPs.

Thanks.

2. bryne macrumors member

bryne

If you have an iMac, I think the MBA is the best fit for you. You already have a home station - you don't need to sacrifice portability/size/weight AND the extra cost for a larger, more powerful laptop. There are definitely cons to being an early adopter of the retina MBP.

I say stick with what you've got. Don't second guess yourself!

3. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

I think you answered your own question.

You don't need the extra power and you are concerned about the additional wait. Your Air is relatively new. Just wait a generation or two for the retina to trickle down to the notebook you actually need.