Is the SE a good deal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darksider95, Dec 20, 2016.

1. darksider95 macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of buying the iPhone SE to replace my iPhone 5 as the battery lasts for less than 2 hours which means I always have to carry a charger. However I had a concerns:

- How is the battery life of the SE on iOS 10?

- As we don't know apples future plans, do you think the SE will be updated in March?

- Do you believe the SE is good value? I know it's less powerful than the flagship but all I need is an acceptable camera quality, podcasts, messaging and calling.

Thank you in advance,

Darksider

2. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

I think the SE might be the only good deal on offer at Apple right now. You are basically getting the internals of the iPhone 6S (with no 3D Touch, a not quite as good screen and inferior front camera), and vastly better battery life compared to the 5/5S. I haven't owned one personally, but almost everyone who has one seems to really like it. And at a $399 starting price, that's almost a no-brainer as long as you're a fan of the smaller 4" screen. Nobody really knows if Apple is going to update the SE in 2017. But, with an A9 chip and 2 GB of RAM, you can be confident the current SE will run fine for years to come. If I were wanting a smaller screen, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It's a good deal if you like the form factor.

4. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I can tell you the battery life is still as fantastic on iOS 10.

I don't know if Apple will update the SE next year, but I really wouldn't worry about it since it still runs extremely smooth on iOS 10.

I would definitely recommend going with the 64GB model if you can afford it, but it absolutely is a great value for how the phone is priced.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I love my SE - I got fed up of oversized phones and sold my 6S+ to get it. I wish there was a 128gb option, but apart from that it's as close to a perfect phone for me as I've had in years

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Have two friends who own the 64gb SE and they love it to death. I have held it and it is a nice solid piece of hardware. If the screen size is good you should like it very much. Battery last a long time.

7. thatanonymoususer, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016

thatanonymoususer macrumors regular

thatanonymoususer

I would like to point out that if you like games, the fitted MFi controller lineup for the 5/5s/SE is pretty decent, and they are dirt cheap compared to their $100+ launch prices:
    Logitech Powershell
    Moga Ace Power

One of the developers for GBA4iOS called the iPhone SE / Logitech Powershell the best way to play GBA games right now.

8. eduschean macrumors newbie

As someone who has an SE and a 7, I have to say the SE is almost on par besides camera and 3D Touch. The battery is better than the 7 because the SE is a smaller screen. I'd say go for it if you're not all about the camera

9. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

I agree with the above post. I have both as well and the se rocks in all categories.

10. npmacuser5 macrumors 6502a

npmacuser5

Give my SE a thumbs up. The money saved, purchased an Apple Watch, the combo very productive and enjoyable too use.

11. Math889 macrumors 65816

Op, upgrade !

12. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I upgraded from a 5 to an SE.

Battery life on iOS 10 is excellent.

The SE is good enough that I don't care if Apple updates it in March. The A9 CPU and 2GB RAM will be useful for a long time.

Probably the best value in the iPhone lineup right now. It's more than fast enough and has plenty of headroom for the future.

Plus there's a headphone jack for those who still need it.

13. Lovelinus macrumors newbie

Lovelinus

Do it, I love my iPhone SE! It's a great phone and arguably the best value for money iphone among the current iPhone lineup imo. I gave up my 7 and went back to the SE and no regrets, the battery life on SE is insane!

14. Relentless Power, Dec 20, 2016

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The SE was my previous iPhone before the 7 Plus and my 4.7 iphone 7. The Portability factor was great and battery life. The screen resolution/size and speaker volume (For calls I used the speaker function slot) suffered the most for me. Which ultimately I sold in minutes, being how popular it was. It was a cheap enough where I purchased two of them.

15. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

@Relentless Power iPhone SE is still a great phone better than iPhone 7 Plus

16. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I wouldn't say "better" absolutely.

I think it is more accurate to say that the SE has advantages over the 7+ in terms of weight and portability. And a headphone jack if the user still wants to use wired headphones.

The 7+ does have a higher resolution display with better contrast, color accuracy, and viewing angle. It's a better media viewing device. The camera system is better. And it is waterproof.

Which phone is "better" depends on the individual user's needs.

For me, portability is more important, so SE is my choice. For someone else with different needs the 7+ may be the better choice.

17. StayPuft Suspended

StayPuft

I love my SE. It's still a great phone.

18. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

@Retired Cat is correct. Everyone's needs are different with each iPhone. The SE and iPhone 7 are completely different in terms of hardware.

The iPhone 7 is Water resistant rated at i67X and the stereo speakers are superior over the SE. The 7 Plus also offers Haptic home button and increased Ram (3GB), faster A10 Fusion processor.

Again, The SE is a great iPhone. But "Better" is subjective and user based.

19. Hal~9000, Dec 20, 2016

Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I picked up a brand-new contract free 64gb iPhone SE for $289 from Best Buy which came with a $200 Best Buy Gift Card, effectively making it $89 total :)

It sure is a little beast of a device and I'm very happy with it:
    • One handed useability
    • Amazing battery life
    • Super smooth performance
    • Great camera results
    • Flat, non-curved, screen
    What's not to love? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

20. Sunny1990, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Oh sorry I didn't know that

21. inbtw33n macrumors newbie

It sounds like you want to switch mainly because of the 5's terrible battery life. Take this story for whatever it's worth to you.

I had a 4S for about 5 years and only upgraded to SE recently due to the lack of OS support. From my years of 4S usage, I've learned to rely less and less on my phone so that my 4S will last me the entire day, but for a regular person they probably couldn't even make it to lunch. Though I was the same as you where I carried around an extra battery just in case it shuts off at 40% like it so often does.

Little did I know SE has one of the best battery life ratings in the industry. As soon as I get my (used) SE, the first thing I notice is that it's blazingly faster than the 4S. I'm not used to not waiting 5 seconds for the keyboard to pop out. The second thing I notice is: the battery is insane. On my usage I average 3 days without charging. Sometimes I use it more so ~2 days, sometimes less so ~4 days.

If the only thing bothering you about the 5 is the battery and not the lack of shiny features, you'll love the SE for its insanely good battery life.

22. CYKBC macrumors 6502

Anyone want to buy my black 7 w 256gb sim free? Just picked up a new SE. Love the size and weight.

23. jshtroutman macrumors regular

jshtroutman

24. eduschean macrumors newbie

I'm considering on selling my 7 too lol. I use my SE more. I do have to say I'm gonna miss the lightning fast LTE speeds on my 7. I wish the SE had a better LTE modem.

25. darksider95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

Thank you for telling your opinion on the SE, it has really helped me in my decision-making. I've decided I will buy the SE in the 64gb space grey variant as I feel it suits my needs for a phone.